Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Paranoia and other things.

I thank all of you for all your prayers and well wishes. Although fire is a very real possibility and there are a few fires burning all around us, I am more than likely a little more paranoid than is necessary. This current fires map from the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) shows where the active fires are right now, but they are currently under control and the wind died down yesterday which helps enormously. Our firefighters are very experienced and very good at their jobs. If things get really bad, we call on firefighters and equipment from all over Canada and the U.S. to come help. In years where there are few fires and the bush is fairly damp, our firefighters go all over Canada and the U.S. to help out with their forest fires.

I am the kind of person who needs a plan in an emergency. If I don't have a plan, I become a useless twit flustering all over the place and not getting anything done. If I know the potential for disaster is there and I plan for it, I'm fine. My bags are packed, the cat carriers are in the house and I am ready to go if need be. This year just seems worse than other years because we didn't get very much snow, it melted earlier than usual and we've gotten quite a bit of wind we don't normally get. We generally have a fire restriction sometime in July or August and often have outright fire bans by then. It's just starting earlier than usual this year and it's making me nervous.

Now on to other less paranoid things.

I added the collar to Invested. Now it's just the zipper left and the Mr. has promised he'll look after the kids for a while on Friday so I can go get help from a local seamstress who has a fabric shop nearby.

This is what is left of ball five. I think if I was the smallest size, it would only have taken four balls of the Bulky Lopi (60m/67yds). I ended up doing the fourth size although from the looks of things, even the largest size would only need 8 skeins maximum.

I am Ballbanding again. These colours are so bright and pretty together. Very Project Spectrum-y too.

Yesterday was another good mail day. I won a contest on Rhonda's blog earlier and this is my prize. Perfect! The Ballbanding goes on and I have some pretty new colours to throw in there. Awesome! Thanks again Rhonda!

I've been having some trouble with this month's colours for Project Spectrum since there hasn't been a whole lot of yellow and pink nature around to snap. Many of the gardens in town have pretty spring flowers on the go, but I don't get much chance to wander about taking pictures of them. The other day though, I found some yellow across the road from us in the ditch. Pretty! Swamp Buttercups. Not a pretty name though. Oops, the flowers are actually Swamp Marigolds.

The pines are starting to open their buds too. Loads of green to photograph that's for sure.

5 Comments:

  • Looks like the correct knitter won the yarn. Lot's of happy knitting.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 2:50 PM, May 09, 2007  

  • I'm praying that all of the fires are kept under control. I don't think you're being paranoid ... fire is scary!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 2:52 PM, May 09, 2007  

  • Hope all goes well with those fires.
    Love your invested, and the colour too.
    Keep knitting to keep yourself calm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 PM, May 09, 2007  

  • I'm with you here when it comes to emergency plans - I think I couldn't go through such scares without having a plan on what to do and how to react. Lately, there's been some immense dryness here as well and the possibility of fires grew - very, very unusual for this time of year. And as we live almost directly at the woods, I sure do understand what you're going through these days. My thoughts and prayers are with you, I sure hope all goes well and these fires will be under control.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 AM, May 10, 2007  

  • I love the Ballband project's colorways. So springy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 AM, May 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home