Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Two, count 'em two finished objects! Ah'ah'ah!

The arty shot.

Worn Canuck style hiding perpetually bad-hair caused by touques. This scarf is long enough to wrap once around the neck and twice around the head.

Canuck Style Scarf

Materials:

- Naturally Tussock 100% wool 175yds/160m (aran weight), Sisu Sock weight wool/nylon 215yds/196m (sock weight), and two balls of S.R. Kertzer Ovation wool/silk blend 186yds/170m (lace weight).
- US 15/10mm knitting needles
- crochet hook for fringe

Gauge: 3sts and 2 rows = 1"/2.5cm in pattern st.

Hold all four yarns together and cut 16"/40cm lengths you'll need 16.

Cast on 12 sts with all four yarns held together (one strand from each ball of Ovation, Sisu and Tussock).

Row 1 and all rows - K1, *Yo, K2tog* repeat to last stitch, K1
Repeat to desired length or until you run out of yarn. (I got a 7' scarf before adding fringe and still had enough left for about another foot.)

Bind off (I used the sewn bind off)
Weave in ends and add fringe.
Total length before fringe = 87"(just over 7')
Total length after fringe = 98" (8')

I have the kinks worked out of the Jabot Scarf. Here it is worn as a Jabot (if you prefer it this way and don't want it to hang down that far, simply reduce the number of rows in the narrow part of the scarf. 22"/56cm should do the trick if you have a fairly small neck. Mine is about 33cm/13" around.

Worn as a short scarf. Once around my neck and pinned. The Mr. was being a pest while I tried to take pictures so payback. Note that bad-hair-itis is contagious.

Jabot Scarf

Materials:

- 2 balls S.R. Kertzer Ovation wool/silk 186yds/170m (lace weight)
- 6mm/US10 knitting needles
- pretty brooch or small shawl pin

Gauge: 4sts and 5 rows over 1"/2.5cm in pattern st.

Cast on 28 sts

Rows 1 & 2 - Knit
Rows 3 - 19 - K1 *Yo, K2tog* repeat to last st, K1
Row 20 - Knit
Row 21 - K2tog across (14 sts)
Row 22 - Knit
Rows 23 - 128 (25.5" / 65cm) about K1 *Yo, K2tog* repeat to last st, K1
Row 129 - Knit across
Row 130 - Kf&b across (28sts)
Row 131 - knit
Rows 132 - 148 - K1, *Yo, K2tog* to last st, K1
Rows 148 & 149 - Knit
Bind off (I used the sewn bind off)
Weave in ends.
Total length = 34"/86.5cm

There was an impromptu SnB at my house last night. Girly was trying so hard.

Note the fantabulous organization that lasted really frickin' long.

9 Comments:

  • The arty photo on the tree is great!

    Thanks for the patterns! As cold as it is in PA today, I need all the Canuck help I can get!

    By Blogger Liz K., at 11:06 AM, December 08, 2006  

  • I LOVE Girly's little face - she's a sweetie! Thanks for the scarf patterns - I really want to give the Jabot a try. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 12:46 PM, December 08, 2006  

  • Dorothy, I don't think I have mentioned lately how much you totally rock. These are both beautifully, fabulous creations. I am, as usual, impressed and inspired!

    By Blogger Kristy, at 2:29 PM, December 08, 2006  

  • Hey, we're above freezing today, but just barely! Yesterday we were at 4F with -15F or so windchill.

    The chillens are clamoring for something knitted for Christmas, so scarves I think it will have to be! :) Yours are lovely, as usual. And Girly's look of determined concentration is so cute!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 PM, December 08, 2006  

  • Thank you for the pattern!!! I'll be knitting that one up over the weekend.

    Love the 1/2 pic of your SnB! How cute!

    By Blogger buttercup, at 3:27 PM, December 08, 2006  

  • Love the artsy shot and your little girly is so cute.

    As for organization...I figure once I finally get a handle on my life it'll be time to leave this earth. At least that's what I tell myself to make it easier to live in my disorganized state.

    Have a nice weekend!

    By Blogger Maureen, at 9:27 PM, December 08, 2006  

  • Oh girly looks soooo cute doing her knitting!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 6:43 AM, December 09, 2006  

  • My gosh, these scarves are absolutely awesome - your knitting rocks big time! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern, that's so kind of you - will have to place it on my "Have to make" list immediately!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM, December 11, 2006  

  • I am so jealous!
    You and GIrlie look so perfect together there, knitting together, and what a wonderful way to share experiences with her. Too many people wait until kids are "old enough" to learn things, and by that time they have lost them.
    Can you adopt me?
    Oh, well, thought I'd ask.
    Thank you for the patterns! Here in "sunny California" it is currently 40 degrees. Not so bad you say? Yes, you're right, but we don't live in the North or in the mountains, where it is supposed to get that cold. We live on the coast, walking distance from the beach, nobody here has clue one how to function in weather like this. No heat in my house either, why have heat when the average low is 60. Boy, are we learning the hard way!
    Thank you again and happy knitting,
    Bee

    By Blogger Bee, at 12:46 PM, February 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home