Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Scarf instead of slippers.

I am still going on the slippers. They are a bit addictive so it's a good thing there are five little girls who want dancing slippers.

My ISE 4 scarf finally made it to my pal Jenn! Now I can show it off and tell you the Saga of the Scarf.

Originally I had another design in mind for a completely different yarn. You may recall I had bought some silk from Elann first. The problems came in when I dyed it. The original yarn was a pale orange and I overdyed it using some Terra Cotta Wilton's dye. It came out looking beautiful. It also turned my hands a bright pink. I tried setting that colour at least four times. Sadly, every time I picked that yarn up it turned my hands pink. I began to dislike the yarn. A lot. Finally I was running out of time to get this scarf knit and had to admit defeat.

Fortunately Lynne of Threads in Time in Thunder Bay was great about sending up yarn before, so I phoned down for more. She didn't have any Misti Pima Cotton Silk in stock, but she ordered some from her supplier in Quebec and it arrived at my house in 2 weeks. Lynne rocks and the day was saved or so I thought.

The design I originally had in mind did not look good with this yarn. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. I am apparently too stubborn and egotistical to use a pattern already out there.

Another couple of days of knitting this idea and that idea finally resulted in me cursing and crying in the corner deciding that simple really is better with a heavier yarn like Misti Cotton. I still wanted reversible and my pal was hoping for cables or lace. So both it must be. At last an little idea crept into my thick skull and the beginnings of a scarf I loved took shape.

I present ... Wrapped in Cables.

A lacy cabled scarf that is completely reversible.

The lace is identical of both sides and the cable has only one difference,

which way it twists.


I wanted to put the pattern up here for all to use, but Paypal really killed me with all those fees and I am dead broke. I need to make some money if I want to be able to buy yarn and stuff to help me play with it. I will be test knitting the pattern to make sure I have it written right and to help me finish the chart. I should have it up in my sidebar for a small price on Monday.

12 Comments:

  • Awww, such a saga with my scarf! But the end result was beautiful--I really like it and look forward to wearing it lots :)

    By Blogger Jenn, at 9:26 AM, June 28, 2007  

  • Dorothy the scarf is genius and I think I might be in love. Can't wait until you publish the pattern.
    Also, I have a question about the overdying . . . is the yarn bleeding because wilton's doesn't work with silk or is it just that yarn?

    By Blogger RobynR, at 10:26 AM, June 28, 2007  

  • Argh! I totally didn't think about the fees! That's so frustrating!

    The scarf is awesome, you did a really beautiful job. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 12:32 PM, June 28, 2007  

  • Very beautiful!

    By Blogger Maureen, at 2:36 PM, June 28, 2007  

  • Thank you for your dye explanation :)

    Oreos are widely available here in the US from Florida, where I am, all the way to Alaska but what Americans call Oreos remind me of the no name "chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies" Sort of greasy and squidgy and they leave a coating in my mouth. On the other hand, most Americans deride Canadian Oreos as overly sweet and similar to stale American Oreos. *shrug*

    By Blogger RobynR, at 9:13 PM, June 28, 2007  

  • Congratulations on your hard-won design. The scarf is simply gorgeous. Many times I look at designs and think, "Well, I like that element but I would change this, this, and that." I almost never knit from extant patterns. But my dear, I want to knit that scarf. I can mail an international money order, if that worked out last time. How many skeins of Misti Cotton will I need to rush out and buy this weekend?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 AM, June 29, 2007  

  • yummy colour and a beautiful pattern. i wish i had seen this before i started my most recent project. soon. soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 AM, June 29, 2007  

  • love the yarn, love the pattern, great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM, June 30, 2007  

  • My gosh, this is amazingly beautiful! What a unique - and certainly hard-won - pattern, the cabling looks ever so awesome and I really, really love the lace parts too - cabling and lace is just sheer heaven! You did a totally awesome job with that, and then knitting it up with such a beautiful color - *drool*!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 AM, July 01, 2007  

  • This scarf is so beautiful! I have such a soft spot for the MA Pima Cotton/Silk. It is really magnificent yarn. You did amazing work!

    By Blogger Kristy, at 1:26 PM, July 02, 2007  

  • I really like the fact that it's reversible - I don't like scarves that have a 'wrong' side - they usually curl up too. Fantastic pattern. Well done.

    By Blogger TutleyMutley, at 3:13 PM, July 15, 2007  

  • Hi - I am coordinating a "blanket of love" for Carrie (Strickerin) and her boys and inviting you to participate. I'm asking for 8" squares knit or crocheted of machine-washable cotton or cotton-blend yarn (she's not a big wool person and this is Tucson, after all), in any shade of blue, stitch pattern of your choice.

    Ideally, I would have this done by her birthday in mid-October. I know it's a little rushed, but if you could have your square(s) to me before September 15, that would be ideal.

    I gathered emails from comments on her last post but there were some I wasn't able to ferret out. If you know of anyone else who would be interested in participating, please spread the word.

    If you would like to include a note or anything else for her, I would be glad to pass it along.

    I am unpastis on Ravelry and my email is unpastisATdvtvDOTcom.

    This is, as you might imagine, a really crummy time. I thank you all for helping me to feel a little less helpless.

    All my best,
    Lynn

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:28 PM, August 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home