Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Good times.

The knitting is nearly invisible to the naked eye. Apparently when you are working on seven things at once and the two you spend the most time on are secret knits, there isn't a whole lot to show for your time. I did get a couple more skeins of sock yarn dyed up though. Meet Squash Blossom. These Wilton food dyes come out really bright and beautiful. I can't believe it took me so long to start playing with them.

Things around here are finally starting grow. Look, some daffodils. These were here when we moved in and so far have popped up every year in spite of my neglect and the giant anthill beside them.

My Tamarack is starting to get needles now. These trees are a study in contrasts. Their cones and needles are so tiny, their branches generally pretty thin, but the whole tree from afar is so tall.

I can't remember what tree this is. It sends out seeds that are like a hybrid pinecone/pussy willow.

Even the wildlife is coming out to see what's going on. When we were kids, a turtle was a very rare sight. I only remember finding one or two and they were near swamps.

The ducks are back and it looks like the Mrs. is making herself a nest right there while the Mr. watches over her and keeps the sandpipers away. Poor things. The creek is insanely low. The kind of low that has the elders telling tales about the last time it was that low and they were kids.


We didn't get much more than a spit of raindrops here and there. The bush is matchstick dry and the winds have been pretty high the last three days. There were a few new fires and the elders and people with respiratory problems are on evacuation alert. I have some bags packed with pictures, changes of clothes, some knitting books and today I am going through the yarn to choose some good stuff to get put in the bags. Now I just need a couple of carseats in case it's a last minute "You have five minutes to get out." evacuation and I have to meet parents somewhere else. Let's hope it won't come to that.


Send rain, please.

P.S. Katy says she would like some rain too.

5 Comments:

  • Totally unrelated to your post: We have Emily Yeung! Bye bye to Daniel Cook!!! :)

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 1:54 PM, May 07, 2007  

  • Love the Squash Blossom, Dorothy! You've nailed it again. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 2:25 PM, May 07, 2007  

  • Lovely yarn! I hope you get your rain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:26 PM, May 07, 2007  

  • Goodness - I had no idea how dry it was there. We have had lots of rain and I would be glad if it would move your way! I hope everything works out - keep us posted.
    I LOVE the Squash Blossoms. Seriously, if you are considering dyeing some for sale...count me in as a customer. It is so beautiful - and the name is ideal.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 11:17 PM, May 07, 2007  

  • What a very, very beautiful colourway - your yarn looks absolutely amazing! And so do your pics once more, especially the duck-ones!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:19 AM, May 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home