Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy New Decade!

The old year is leaving soon and with it, another decade. I am looking forward to the future on one hand, but sad for it to come on the other hand. I can't wait to see how my babies grow and what changes they will go through, but I am sad that I have to go back to work in March and will miss out on so many things while another person cares for my babies. I like my job and the people I work with, but I sure do love being home with the kids.

First tooth!


Ah well, who knows, maybe we'll win the big one and I'll get my wish! In the meantime, I plan to make the best of the life I have and be happy I get the full year at home rather than the 17 weeks my Mother got with my sister and the 15 weeks she had with me. Also way better than the 6 weeks my Grandmother had and the no time off or job loss my Great-Grandmother got. We've come a long way, baby! Maybe my daughter will be fortunate enough to have even more time at home with her baby once her time comes. In thirty years. When she is allowed to date.

First wiggly tooth!


This year I plan to try harder to be the kind of Mother my kids will looks back and remember fondly. I've been working on the cleaner, tidier house thing. Tidier is going alright. Cleaner is coming along, but I sure wouldn't be hurt if a maid showed up now and again. I've been doing a bit more baking and have added sewing to my repertoire. Knitting has suffered a bit, but I think the challenge of a new skill has been good for me. The needles will be picked up more often now as there is a new challenge for me in that direction. No new babies. Just a possibility of an outlet for creativity. Not a book.

Anyway, a recipe for you as my going away to 2009 and it's decade. I hope you enjoy your new decade as much as I enjoyed these muffins.

Cran-Raspberry Muffins with Pistachios.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
0.5 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
0.5 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen without juice)
0.5 cup unsalted, dry roasted pistachios (pecans or pralines would be awesome too)

Method:

Line two muffin pans with paper cups or lightly grease and flour. Preheat oven to 190*C (375*F).

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour (in that order).

Gently fold in pistachios, cranberries and raspberries (if using frozen, do not thaw first as that will discolour your batter).

Fill your muffin cups about halfway and bake for 16-18 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Move immediately to cooling racks.

Makes about 24 medium sized muffins (pictured) or about 12 large ones.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home