Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Friday makes me happy.

Today is the end of my work week and that means that tomorrow I get to sleep in until 8:00am. I'll feel so decadent and spoiled. The good thing about have full darkness at 7:00am means that children rarely wake up that early. The bad thing about it being full dark at 7:00am means that pictures don't turn out nice, bright and true to colour. For instance, this photo of the miles of knitting I got done yesterday. Not too far off, but not quite right either.

Have I mentioned that I like Misti Cotton? Yes? Well, too bad I'm going to mention it again. I like Misti Cotton. It is thick, light and soft, but very strong. I think if I make small 5"x5" cloths, they will be perfect for baby washcloths.

Sunday is Daylight Savings time. I really hate changing the clocks back and forth. What is the point? In the winter, I would rather have more daylight time in the evening after school for the kids to play in, than more daylight first thing in the morning. In the spring when the clocks go ahead, there are almost as many accidents as there are in the first snowstorm of the year. Pointless and dangerous. Must have been thought up by a politican.

My thoughts are leave the clocks ahead. We all enjoy nice long summer evenings and in the winter the kids get a bit more outdoor playtime. Win-win. There are towns in the area that don't change their clocks so far nothing bad has happened to them.

Wow, the air is really red this morning! I'm going to go take a picture if I can. The sunrise must be really something.

9 Comments:

  • It really was a beautiful sunrise this morning - such a red sky. Doesn't that mean storms? I'm bad with my sailor terminology :) I hate changing the clocks too - I'm dreading Monday when it will be dark now when I leave work. Makes my day feel a LOT longer :(

    By Blogger Spinner, at 9:07 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • I was up at 5:00 this morning, not a whole lot earlier than usual, but a bit. I went out with the dog and I couldn't believe the stars in the sky! Crisp, clear, and gorgeous.

    So I went in and read blogs. :-)

    I don't get the daylight savings thing either, but aren't we going OFF it now, so it's back to "normal"?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • Not a big fan of the time change either, but at least this one gives me an extra hour to my weekend. Have a good one!

    By Blogger Maureen, at 10:56 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • My kiddos have a hard time getting up and going when it's dark outside. Since I work outside my home, I'm looking forward to changing the clocks. That should make our mornings easier - at least for a little while.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • I look forward to this time change. As the poster child for being "Not a Morning Person" I really struggle with getting up at 5:30 when it is still pitch black. And I love that it is dark when I get off work. Yeah, yeah, I know. I am weird like that.

    By Blogger Kristy, at 11:07 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • I think Daylight Savings was created for the benefit of the farmers, who were all up and out so early in the morning. Don't quote me, though. There's been much talk of late about doing away with the whole thing. It could make things interesting for a while, because you know some places will drop it, and others will hang on, and it will wreak some havoc!

    I'm glad to hear how much you like the Misti Cotton. I'm thinking about knitting a tank for my mum in it.

    By Blogger Charity, at 11:13 AM, October 27, 2006  

  • we don't have it in queensland. the rest of australia does, but not here. the farmers are afraid it'll stress out the cows. the european, u.s. and rest of oz's cows are all fine, but no, the queensland ones are dippy.
    i had one local politician say that dst is bad, because how can you get the kids to bed if you tell them they have to go to bed when it's dark and it isn't dark. i looked at him and tried not to laugh. i asked him how the other kids in the world do with dst and how the kids in alaska, sweden, etc manage as it can almost never be dark at times.

    it'd be nice for us to have some light in the evening. as we're near the equator, there is no twilight, so it's dark at 5:30 or 6:30 depending on the earth's tilt. would love to have the 6:30 or 7:30 option.

    ah time. it's a man-made creation. the sun and earth don't care. there is never a change in the amount of light, it's only about when we're awake to see it. me? i'm all for weekend saving time. for all the play time i miss, give me another day in the week at teh end.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 AM, October 28, 2006  

  • Mmmmmisty cotton. I like your experiment with it. I would guess that you could get two baby wash cloths out of 33 g, or maybe one bath mitt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 AM, October 28, 2006  

  • Oops - thanks for reminding me about Daylight Savings Time, I had absolutely forgotten that this is today... I absolutely agree with you, the best thing would be leaving the clocks ahead - it'd be so nicer having an hour more daylight in winter as well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 AM, October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home