Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Steamy

This year has been the oddest one I can remember in a long time. First we had next to no snow compared to our normal years. Then it melted early and no rain fell for so long that everything turned into kindling just waiting for a match. We all prayed or did rain dances and they came. Oh did we get rain! The lakes came back up from well below normal to above normal and so did the swamps, including the ones in the ditches on our road. Now the heat is here and the steam is a haze in the air.

The children don't get to play outside for more than half an hour at a time and only in the morning, the dog goes out long enough to do his business and I try not to go out at all, at least until the sunburn on my shoulders heals. Thank you, Lord for A/C!! I think I would have had to move out this tin can in the middle of an open field if we didn't have it. I am content though. Better +44*C/111*F with the humidity than -44*C/-47*F with the wind chill factor. I know a lot of people who say they prefer cold to hot since you can dress for the cold, but I think that's crap.

Cold is worse, who really wants to be so bundled up they can barely move and out in snow that is too cold to pack well. Skiing isn't even fun at that temperature. At least in the heat, you can still go outside from here to there without spending half an hour getting your stuff on and warming your car up so it can run properly. In the heat, you can go the beach and sit in the shade. We won't even begin to list all the yummy things to eat and drink in the heat either.

Also, if your A/C is good and your Mr. insists on keeping it at a temperature he would freak out about in the winter, you can even knit with wool! Like this mitt for Girly with an extra long cuff. I'm using Freedom wool from Twilley's of Stamford. Soft and beautiful yarn.

Also a variation on the Ballband with wool sock yarns. I'm hoping this will work out for a new pattern idea.


Here's to you, now I am off to make myself a nice yogurt, wheat germ and berries smoothie for breakfast. Mmm, cold and nutritious! Good thing the Mr. is working so I can turn the A/C up to a normal human temperature.

4 Comments:

  • Ah yes, A/C - that would be nice. Admittedly we don't get the same extremes of temperature here as you do, but believe me, I SO prefer our cold weather (which is totally manageable with extra layers and heating) over our hot weather (which we don't have this year, but the memory of last year's still makes me feel slightly ill) which is inescapable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 AM, July 25, 2007  

  • I'm happy to say the temperatures have settled down here... I almost caved to dh's A/C requests! :0) The mitten is nice, I haven't heard of this yarn before.

    By Blogger Charity, at 11:35 AM, July 25, 2007  

  • Willis H. Carrier invented the A/C and we should celebrate his birthday! I think it should be a National Holiday. My DH doesn't like it as cold as I do ... but we compromise. I sneak it down when he's not looking, LOL.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 9:35 AM, July 26, 2007  

  • A/C makes all the difference.

    Ballband socks you say? Is that what I read? Hmmmmm...

    Your smoothie sounds delicious!

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 12:31 AM, July 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home