Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

At least something is done-ish around here.

While I do like being pregnant, some of the time, all the scrutiny is starting to get on my nerve. I can't make a few biscuits for dinner without the MIL saying that I'm going to start labour any second now. Apparently if you want something fresh and homemade to eat, its a sign of nesting and labour is imminent. If my stomach twitches, someone is on me like beggars on a coin. If I have an itch or rub my belly, labour! My SIL is phoning nearly everyday all wound up even though we've tried to make it clear that she will be phoned once the baby is born. Promise! I love her, but, she is very excitable and it shows on the phone. Loud, speed talking should be in the Winter Olympics. She'd win for sure.

Sigh. I suppose I shouldn't complain because it is really nice not to have to worry about getting my mother here to stay with Girly while I go off to the hospital once labour does start and my SIL does love us, but still. You know.

Anyway! On to better things.

I managed to finish something I can show you. This is the Norwegian Star Earflap Hat by Tiennie Knits As you can see, there are no earflaps. In fact other than the star pattern, there isn't much that is the same. Girly loved it. Especially the pompom.

I have to shrink it so it fits her better, but I really love how the colours look together and the pattern was really easy.

My Mods:

I added stripes above and below the stars. I also added a few rows of garter stitch at the top because I like how it makes the pattern stand out more. This meant I had to omit all the plain rows during the crown decreases which made the crown turn out a bit star shaped. That may be fixable though since I have to shrink it a bit and block.

Rather than thread the yarn through the remaining stitches at the top of the crown, I moved them all to one needle, changed to my contrast colour and knit some I-cord. Then I made a two colour pompom and tied it to the end of the I-cord.

Since the hat came out as big as it has, I haven't added the earflaps. Once I shrink it, I'll see where it stands and add them then if needed.

5 Comments:

  • Oh I remember the unbearable pressure that well-meaning relatives give you when you're waiting to go into labour - esp with the second, as you need that support network ready and waiting to look after child no.1 when things start happening.

    I just let myself go slightly insane - it seemed a reasonable way to deal with it all - and now I claim that child no. 2 was 10 days late, although if I compare her arrival date with her due date, she was in fact only 4 days late. (Exactly 5 years ago today in fact!)

    Hoping you stay sane, or enjoy losing it, whichever works for you...

    By Anonymous Anne, at 1:41 PM, April 07, 2009  

  • my great grandma used to say that if you blogged about ear flaps, you were about to drop baby.

    By Blogger IHateToast, at 4:45 PM, April 07, 2009  

  • Hang in there, girl! I'm sure if you just focus on the important things, like knitting, it will all be just fine! :D

    By Blogger Sus, at 8:13 AM, April 08, 2009  

  • I feel your pain. The harassment at the end was worse than the heartburn.

    By Anonymous Emily, at 7:00 AM, April 09, 2009  

  • We stopped answering our phone the last few weeks. And then e-mails. And then pretty much ignored knocks on the door. Good luck!

    By Blogger Sayward, at 11:19 PM, April 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home