Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Good Find.

I often hear people saying that the difference between living together and marriage is a piece of paper. Maybe for some that is the only difference but for me this paragraph I found in a book sums up the real difference and the reason I told the Mr. that I wouldn't live with him unless he married me.

[Quote]

(Mrs. Antrobus speaking to her husband of many years): "I didn't marry you because you were perfect, George. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. (She takes off her ring and looks at it.) That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the difference."

[Unquote]

"The Skin of Our Teeth" - Thornton Wilder

There may be some knitting some day. I actually managed to finish a project for the first time in many months.

3 Comments:

  • That's a lovely quote and I quite agree! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the FO -- I look forward to seeing it!

    By Blogger Sus, at 9:06 AM, November 13, 2008  

  • That's really, really good. I like it. Thanks for sharing!

    Glad you did a bit of knitting! How are you feeling?

    By Blogger Charity, at 7:30 PM, November 13, 2008  

  • Beautiful quote, and I totally agree. However, I'm glad I lived with my college boyfriend so I could find out before it was too late that I didn't want to marry him. I prefer the one who gave me a ring 15 years ago.

    By Blogger jessie, at 12:48 PM, November 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home