Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Some good, much sadness though.

Some good things from yesterday. The Girly had her first dentist appointment yesterday. She did us proud. She sat on Daddy's lap and opened wide for the dentist, no fuss, no complaints at all. The dental hygenist walked into the room halfway through and stopped in her tracks, amazed. She was even more surprised to hear that the Girly is just two years old. That would be the good thing about a very curious child. She loves to learn and she is more often than not, fascinated at what doctors and photographers do.

I joined a choir last night. It's a community choir called the Festival of Carols and it meets up every year at this time to learn Christmas songs. There are 11 practices in total every Monday night until the final public performance on December 3. One in the afternoon, one in the evening. Three days before my birthday.
Thing is, I almost never sing. Not in public, not at home, not even in the car. I used to sing a lot, but only when I was alone. The odd time I will sing along with one of the kid shows theme songs, the kids like it when I do that, but it's not like you get your best voice out for that. My throat hurts today and except for the Halleluia chorus (An Advent Alleluia) and Do You Hear What I Hear, I've never heard most of these songs. Even worse, I can't read sheet music and I have issues with knowing how long to hold a note. The only reason I decide to join (other than getting to leave the house once a week for something other than errands) is that I learn songs fairly easily. Sigh, I hope the choir director has a whack of patience though.

Meet my newest girl Wish. She is the last wistful rememberances of summer along with all the wishes for a speedy return.


The sad. The birds discovered my girls. A flock of blackbirds nearly cleaned Hope right out. See that dark triangle at the top of her and the narrow ring around the outside? That's what's left of her babies. I managed to save some, but nowhere near what I was hoping for. At least I have some though. They are drying now.

I managed to save most of Bustle's. The oddly shaped white part are her babies.

Joy (right) and Chary (left) still have most of their babies, but they are really small babies. I may be able to use some of the larger ones on the outsides then I'll put the small ones back outside for the birds.

Nexus is full, and her seeds are growing, but they need more time, so she is wearing a windchime to help scare the birds away from her. She may actually make it to delivery! I'm going to have to get more windchimes for next year. Pretty, beautiful music and functional all at once it doesn't get better than that.

Once all the girls are finished, I'm going to lay the stalks on the garden and next spring, I'll rent a Roto-tiller and plow them in so they fertilize the soil for next year's flowers. The cycle of life right in my garden.

There is a rainbow there if you look closely. The cool thing about this is that it has landed on the rooftop of that house. I could see the colours on the shingles. I guess home is the treasure at the end of the rainbow for them.

4 Comments:

  • I'm sorry to read about hope (this might be a double as blogger got stuck there, so apologies if it is). we get fruit bats and the way to save the fruit is netting. would that work?

    i'm also impressed with your singing. i can't and won't sing. i wish i could. i'm proud that you're giving it a go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:05 PM, September 19, 2006  

  • Congratulations on joining the choir! You have lots of time to practice, and learn the songs, so don't sweat it, just try to enjoy the process! So sorry to hear about your babies :0(

    By Blogger Charity, at 3:49 PM, September 19, 2006  

  • I sang in the local community choir for a couple of years and loved it! Business prevents me from joining now! Try singing more from the diaphram and your throat should not hurt as much. Have fun! Love the Halleluia Chorus!

    By Blogger Martina, at 4:06 PM, September 19, 2006  

  • Beautiful rainbow! I'm glad to hear that your little one's dentist visit went well. My parents started us out at the dentist early and now I don't mind to go one bit. Of course, I only just had my first cavity this past April.

    Sorry about the girls. I guess the bird feast is sort of part of the circle of life, too, unforunately.

    (blathering comment continues) Here in N. California, we have lots of agriculture - especially grapes. The vineyards tie strips of metalic tape or something like that on the vines and they say it keeps the crows away. It is very shiny and pretty - though no music like your beautiful windchimes.

    Ok Done. :)

    By Blogger Kristy, at 5:35 PM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home