Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

What's up with you?

I've been organizing a little. Some of the yarn is in bins. I think I should have gone bigger. The stack is taller now than it used to be. Although I did get some yarn out of duffel bags and clear out the other corner. Don't worry Katy, there is still a whack of organizing to do in this place. You aren't behind.

My computer desk looks much neater too. Not as neat as I would like it, but it will do for now. Once I get some more stuff to hold all the yarn that isn't in bins, I'll do some more organizing and hopefully be able to shrink that pile a little more. Although finishing some planned projects might do the same thing. I'll go there soon. I have a very long list and I think after Christmas, I may have to go on a stash busting crash diet. Trailers aren't the best for out of the way storage options.


The yarn I dyed on Friday:

Two colour repeats. Violet Twilight and Superior's waves. They came out a bit paler because the yarn (Briggs and Little's Tuffy) is thicker than the Durasport sockweight.

Here are Flame (top, another repeat) and Orange Grenadine (bottom, new colourway). It reminds me of how a drink looks right after you add the Grenadine and before you mix it. Layers of colour from unmixed juice, mixing and grenadine settling on the bottom.

There were two others, but they were just grey Tuffy overdyed with red and blue. I like them both, but they aren't really colourways. Just colours. The red came out very dark as did the blue.

This one is for me. See the little white/black flecks ball on the top? I overdyed a full ball with purple. This stuff really sucks up the dye. I love how dark it got. I'm going to make a bag with this and see if it will felt without running into the other colour. I may have to reskein and rewash the ball again. I'll see if it starts dying my hands while I knit it before I decide.

Someone wanted to wind yarn too. She did pretty good too.


More Q and A

Suzanne read the title of my Salmon Citrus Bake as Salmon Citrus Bundt Cake.

I immediately thought of chopped salmon in a buttery onion, celery, sage and savoury stuffing with fresh chives and lemon zest. All mixed together with a beaten egg and baked in a greased Bundt pan. Is that weird? I wonder if it would work? It would look really cool if it did and had a nest of chives and lemon zest curls in the centre. I'm hungry.

Desperate Housewife asks:

Does your Grandmother's Great Depression Bread not need to be kneaded?

Nope. Although I did find it easier to use my hands to mix in the last bit of flour.

Secret Pal asks (about the Knit Mitt Kit Swap):

Oh, Dorothy. Why must you lead me into temptation like this?

Because crazy loves company as much as misery does. ;D

Katy mentioned a bird called Cock-of-the-Rock.

I had to look that one up for sure. It really is a pretty bird although at first I forgot to put the hyphens in. Yeesh, people need something else to do. Maybe a little respect for themselves and others too. Here are a few links to pictures if anyone wants to see them. Guianan variety and Andean variety.

and...

so what is your favourite halloween candy? did you sort by groups, stack and trade?

I liked the homemade fudge we used to get at one of my friend's Grandma's house best. It was the seventies/early eighties then. It was still safe to eat homemade stuff back in the day. You know I sorted, stacked and ate the candies I had the most of first, at least until they were equal to the next most then I alternated until they were both equal to the third most and so on and so on. It's a wonder I am not in a padded room. I only traded those licorice flavoured toffee candies though. I never could stand those.

Martina asks:

Apollo likes pumpkin??!!

Yep. He loves peppers (green is his favourite), carrots, celery (ribs pulled out), eggplant, squash (all varieties), turnip and cucumbers too (all raw). He loves anything that doesn't have an onion or garlic flavour to it really. I don't give him raw potatoes though, I've heard they have too much starch for animals and should be cooked first. He also loves all fruit except for citrus fruits too. I find that he will work harder and learn new tricks faster if I use fruits or vegetables for treats instead of dog bones.

Back to cleaning and reorganizing. Sigh. I'm not really sure all this new energy is a good thing.

5 Comments:

  • Good lord you're productive. I'm jealous. And yes, I behaved poorly on Friday night, but I didn't get caught petting my silk shirt. ;-) Your suggestions were hilarious!

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 3:20 PM, November 19, 2006  

  • i finished the kitchen! whee... but that's one room down, 7 to go. and before that sounds extravagant, 2 of those are "sleep-outs". this house has no a/c. way back when, you'd just sleep on the sleep outs to have a cool night's sleep. they're smaller than king-sized beds. and 2 others are bath and toilet. again, old house. toilet not originally part of the house. just built right outside and then built around. so... like i said... one down, too many more to go.... and what am i doing? READING YOUR BLOG... you're distracting me to get ahead...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 PM, November 19, 2006  

  • You have been a busy lady this weekend!! I love the yarn you dyed!! Little one looks so cute winding!! Happy knitting!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:41 PM, November 19, 2006  

  • I need to do the very same thing. I spent the day baking my tail off for Thanksgiving. I'm beat!

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 12:07 AM, November 20, 2006  

  • You really did a great organizing job, how very inspiring it is to see! And I really love the yarn you've been dyeing, you're doing such a great job with it - I'm particularly fond of the orange one, for obvious reasons ;) Your little one looks so very cute winding the yarn, how great it must be to have such a busy little helper!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 AM, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home