Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A new stitch pattern.

Yesterday I got a nice parcel in the mail. Cindy was clearing out her stash and in exchange for shipping and some squares for Warming Grace I got these balls of yarn. Two balls of Jamieson Shetland 100% Wool and one of Naturally Kid et Soie Mohair/Silk/Merino. Beautiful stuff. I think if I use big needles and a lace pattern, I'll get a scarf from the Naturally and I probably have enough for a little cardi for Ruth. I may have to edge with something else, but that's not a big deal. I've already been looking around for another ball or two for edgings and I can get some for decent prices on ebay. Now, I just have to win the lotto so I can buy all the yarn I have my eye on. Yeesh.


A while back, Suzanne posted a four row stitch pattern with a variable number for the stitch repeats. I decided on 3 for my variable with the constant number 2 for the purl/YO, K2tog. That meant that I cast on a multiple of 5 + 3 and 4 edge stitches for this little square. Still here after the confusion of numbers? I know, I won't do it often I promise.

I knit this my way with the YO wrapped backward (for me) to keep from getting big holes and this is the result. A pretty little braided look mock cable. It's hard to see with this yarn, but it is really pretty.

The other side looks a bit like 4X1 ribbing since it draws in so much. This would make a great reversible sweater or a really warm scarf and it is super easy to do. I was even able to put away the paper and just eyeball which row I was on. Super!

Doesn't that look really warm?

Girly wrote volumes on the rhapsodies of being a princess. I'm carefully teaching her that the best princesses are strong women who make choices about their lives and don't expect others to "make" them happy. Also that happily ever after doesn't come easy or foolproof. Just too damn many fools out there.


The cats and I have called a truce. They didn't wake me up last night and I won't wake them today. So we called it quits before they got too far ahead of me.

8 Comments:

  • Good idea teaching Girly that a princesses can be independent and self sufficient as well.

    For a long time I had on the bathroom mirror for all to see, "You are looking at the only person responsible for your happiness." Great words like these put everything into perspective. ;-)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:02 AM, February 28, 2007  

  • We have a book of unconventionally independent princess stories at home. I'll try to remember to get you the title.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 AM, February 28, 2007  

  • Here it is!

    The Pirate Princess And Other Fairy Tales by Neil Philip and Mark Weber

    I hope you can find it in your libraray or used book shop. They're longish stories that I don't think my kids had attention span for when they were Girly's age, but since she is doing such a great job knitting I'm sure she will be able to listen to the stories without a fuss. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 AM, February 28, 2007  

  • oh that is beautiful yarn.

    and another book:
    'the paperbag princess' she saves the day, and the prince is a moron. i love it.

    By Blogger veritas, at 4:13 PM, February 28, 2007  

  • Ditto on the Paper Bag Princess! Hmm, I'm a little puzzled by the stitch pattern though I apppear to be the reference. Are you doing slip one, purl one, then *knit one, YO, K2tog, purl one* but just varying the wrap direction? It looks great, in any case.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM, February 28, 2007  

  • That stitch pattern is really pretty!

    Glad you called a truce with the cats! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 PM, February 28, 2007  

  • Oh, what a yummy yarn, and that stitch pattern is absolutely lovely too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 AM, March 02, 2007  

  • you're making me sweat! i took a cold bath to cool down after cycling and then i see that pattern on your jeans. so cozy. i envy you and your winter. ... until i read about snow shoveling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 PM, March 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home