Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Monday, February 19, 2007

The Road Trip.

Thanks to the Nostepinne tutorial on Yarnival I managed to make my very first centre pull ball of yarn. My Nostepinne was the cardboard tube from the aluminum foil. I figured the recycling wouldn't miss it and it is stiffer and thicker than a paper towel or toilet paper one. The resulting ball is egg shaped and it's probably a good thing I'm using the yarn right away since it's pretty tight, but I think with practice, I'll get the hang of it.


Some of the pictures I took on the way to Kenora. Have I mentioned I really like these widgets? Don't know how to write on them? Click on the little cartoon speaking balloon in the upper left corner of your picture after you upload them and you can write a quick caption.



More rocks on the roadside. We are on the Candian Shield so roadside rocks are the name of the game. If ever you come here, you are required to stop (in a safe spot of course), collect some small rocks and climb to the top of one of these and build a miniature Innukshuk.

The stuff I got from The Painted Sheep. I would like to call it a score, but I really can't. I paid way to much for the book. I didn't know that at the time, but when I looked it up at home, I found out how much it really retails for and I paid WAY too much. It is a pretty store, but it's crowded and the yarn section is claustrophobic. I don't mind small spaces, but I had to keep stepping out of it to breathe. She has a good selection of Noro yarns and Brittany Birch needles/hooks though. I got a set of 13cm (5") 2.25mm (US 1) DPN's and they are nice. I also got some lace circs. She doesn't carry any laceweight yarns because she says that people don't use it anymore. I see.

My very first Noro. Two skeins of Noro Silk Garden. I wanted a green/blue colourway so I can make a hat that I can wear my green ISE 3 scarf and my blue and white Fetchings without looking like I'm too colourblind to co-ordinate myself. Right now I only have a red store bought hat with yellow and orange striping around the brim. People often look at me and wonder if I should be on the short bus what with all the crazy colours I'm wearing.


I'll play with the Noro right after I am finished making the Mr. his fingerless gloves and the hat for Kate. Those have to go in the mail pretty soon.

4 Comments:

  • Mmmm Look at that Noro.
    This is the 3rd time I have read a reference to the 'short bus' this weekend. Pretty funny - I'd never heard that before.
    Here we have 2 short buses - one is for a Preschool and the other is Dog Bus -- imagine busing your dogs around so they can get a walk with a pack?
    So no one uses lace weight anymore eh? Interesting...
    Did you stop and make an Inukshuk?
    Before our highway was getting blasted to pieces we had a lot. Too bad - they were right in theme with the Olympics.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 12:57 PM, February 19, 2007  

  • Congratulations on your first Noro. I really hope you love it. I rarely knit with the same yarn twice, but I find myself knitting with Noro all the time.

    By Blogger Liz K., at 7:07 PM, February 19, 2007  

  • I love the road trip photos! Can't wait to see what the Noro becomes - I have seen some very lovely Danica scarves lately made out of self-striping yarn. Just a thought!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 PM, February 19, 2007  

  • The short bus! Dorothy, you always make me giggle. :0)

    Love the Noro, and the new reading material!

    By Blogger Charity, at 9:42 PM, February 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home