Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Thrum, wherefore art thou, Thrum?

Yesterday morning I looked at the poor little Thrum mitt cuff sitting on the computer desk and thought, you know, if those were finished, I would have really warm hands.

Do you want to know how to have a nice clean and organized house? Lose the pattern you want to work on. Tear the house apart and actually vacuum and organize as you go.

You may even get a little help here and there.

I finally found it and got to the thrum part. My pattern says to cut the pencil roving into 3" lengths. Everywhere I read said not to cut, but after I did the first round like everyone says to, I got worried about how much roving I would have if I kept tearing and started cutting.

How to Thrum.

Take your piece of roving and look at it. Give it a twist in the middle in the same directions as it is already twisting. Fold in half leaving enough room for your needle at the bend.

Put needle through your stitch, place roving on the needle and bring your working yarn up and over the roving then around your needle.

This is how the back will look. Continue around in pattern.

Now that is a warm mitt.

"What cha readin'?" "A sweater book."

"Are you going to pick one out for Mommy to knit you?" "Yes! I like that one and that one and ..."

6 Comments:

  • Nothing like having some help picking out what you'll knit next. Those Thrummed mittens are going to be really, really warm. I knit myself some double rolled mittens [roving knit along with each stitch by rolling it over the yarn as you go]. They are also really, really warm. Sure are handy in THIS cold we got going right now. BTW, Dorothy come on by for my contest!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:24 AM, February 07, 2007  

  • Your thrummed mittens are going to be beautiful. I am so eager to see your finished mittens. I don't think I have ever seen a completed pair of thrum mittens.

    By Blogger Kristy, at 10:21 AM, February 07, 2007  

  • Hmmmm, my last comment seems to have disappeared. Grrrr, Blogger.

    The mittens are looking great! I've been wanting to try a thrummed pattern, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the process.

    Girly is sure a cutie! :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 4:52 PM, February 07, 2007  

  • Oh my goodness what a cute little Girly! My kids dictate knitting to me too, but usually it's hats or mitts (what I'm working on now). Hopefully they won't get the idea that I should make them each a sweater - they'd graduate school by the time I got it completed!

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM, February 07, 2007  

  • Oh, and ... thanks for indulging my thrum questions. Your mitt is looking great! I may have to try that this summer/fall after I decide what color my new coat will be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 PM, February 07, 2007  

  • my roving isn't that shiny. it looks so nice. of course, i could never wear them, but i have hopes of doing a pair for a friend in minnesota. maybe i can just knit a pair with red licorice rope and cotton candy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 AM, February 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home