Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Perspective.

Now class, today we are going to be talking about perspective.

I started thinking about how different the same things can be for everyone. Take for instance my in-laws. They think that a ten minute drive to a nearby town is a big deal. To make the hour drive into St. John's, well, you might as well get a hotel room. That's a trip. I on the other hand, cannot fathom that way of thinking. To me an hour's drive to the neighbouring town is normal. We do it every other week. It has to be more than a three hour drive for me to think that is a trip. To have spent my entire life on an island and never see anywhere else is incomprehensible, yet my Nan-in-law has done just that and wouldn't have it any other way.

To me quiting smoking four years ago today was not fun, but the best thing I could do for my health, my mental state and the environment (all those chemicals and the littering). To others, quitting is for quitters and they aren't quitters.

To my one of my friends, cooking is hard and cleaning is a breeze. To me, cooking is easy and fun, cleaning, hard and boring.

What's your perspective?

1. Pot half full or pot half empty?

2. Seen on a shelf in a flower shop or seen on a table in a coffee shop?

3. Lost scarf or cold tree?

4. Carelessly left on the front step or carefully placed decor?

5. Trying to get a good picture or proving the crazy or both?

6. Picture found on internet or picture found on camera?

9 Comments:

  • Dorothy, congratulations on four smoke free years! DH quit in '91 and to this day I think that was the best gift to our family he could ever have given us!

    In my eyes, the glass is half full. Each challenge is a chance to discover more of ourselves and come up with a new creative way of doing things!

    Love your blog, keep it up!

    By Blogger Alberta, at 8:51 AM, January 30, 2007  

  • But cooking is easy, and cleaning is boring. Everyone knows that!

    That snowflake picture cracks me up because I am obsessed with snowflakes. I'm always staring at the sleeves of my wool coat in public, trying to get a good view of a perfect flake. People must think I'm nuts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 AM, January 30, 2007  

  • Dorothy, congratulations on 4 smoke-free years! My ex kept saying he was going to quit, for me, for the kids, but he always slid back. I know it's a tough battle and I'm very proud of you!

    I love all your photos. Thanks so much for sharing them with us! I don't have a camera to take with me everywhere, but I did see one of your crazy vertical sunrise rainbows this morning as I was taking the kids to daycare. We were really amazed with the spectacle.

    Hope you are warm and cozy on this cold cold day.

    SP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM, January 30, 2007  

  • Congrats on 4 smoke-free years, I know it's tough, the first time I quit was when I was preggo with Meg, than I started again when she was about 3 mon. old, the 2nd time I quit was getting pregnant with Les, that was tough and still is, I fight starting again every day, i'm still nursing Les and that's why I have'nt it's not easy sometimes

    By Blogger Barb, at 1:20 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • Congrats to you on this big occasion! Do something special for yourself because quitting smoking is such a big deal! I am proud of you (and to know you)!

    Most days seeing the beauty and the fun in situations is easy for me. Lately tho - I've been a real "The glass isn't even half full; it's empty!" kind of person. But I'm working on that and in 2007 my glass is going to be full! Posts like this really help so keep up this great blog!

    By Blogger buttercup, at 1:52 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • I love your pictures, Dorothy! And congrats from me, too, on the smoke free years. I'm sure it is as much a blessing to theose who love you as it is to you!!

    I hope you will share with us your perspective on each of your pictures. I for one love picture #5. And I'm with you on the "trip" situation.

    By Blogger Kristy, at 3:33 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • Congrats on the no smoking accomplishment!

    I've always been one to see the pot as half full instead of half empty. And I'd have to say the flower pot is not one that was carelessly left, but one that was strategically placed. As for the scarf, I love the perspective that it is warming a cold tree.

    By Blogger Maureen, at 7:43 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • Happy anniversary- go you!

    Love those pictures- cold tree... heheh. I can't believe you captured snowflakes! So cool!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • Your pics never cease to amaze me - and you do too: Congrats on the four smoke free years! You know how I'm battling with quitting smoking, and mind you, I admire you big time for managing to quit! But, as I see it, the glass - or the pot - is always half full, so I think my time for that will come as well ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:02 AM, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home