Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, January 19, 2007

More of the bag.

Some of the sky this morning,

some of the trees at night. This side of the road gets very little sun and the trees still have ice on the branches. Every time I drive by them, the lights from my car and the street light make them sparkle like little Christmas lights. You'll probably need to click on the picture to see them.

Last night I added a decorative edging to the bag.

I think it will be more of a basket cover than a bag though. It's big.

I need to work more on my seaming too. I really like the idea of this bag, but it is not what I had hoped it would be. I'll see how it looks once it has it's ties on and is tied.

It didn't shrink as much as I had hoped either. There is still quite a bit of stitch definition. I think I would have gotten more of a felting look if I had used a 6mm needle instead of the 7mm. I'm going to felt the brown and blue bag I made previously and see how that works out. It's made with the same yarn on 6mm needles so I'll see if I am right. If I like that one better, I may end up sending that one instead. It's more of a bag anyway.


I think I will start looking around for a book on knit purses so I can see how to make a square or rectangular bag with a zipper. I think this bag would have been much better if I knew how to set it up for one.

I seem to be thinking a lot in this post.

6 Comments:

  • I think the bag looks really good all stitched & felted up. If you don't think it felted enough ... just put it in again for another go around. But I still thinks it looks great!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:47 AM, January 19, 2007  

  • Dorothy, your bag looks great!

    I agree with the person above, if you don't think it's felted enough, have another go at it! I have a bag that I had to run through the wash 3 times before I was happy with it.

    You don't mention what method you used, but I will share my method, in case that helps you. I have a front-loading washer, and I wash on hot with some laundry soap and a cold rinse. I put a few towels and a sleeve of clean tennis balls in there with the item to be felted so there's sure to be plenty of agitation!

    Even with all that, I prefer a substantial loss of stitch definition, so I generally end up running the item through a few times. Don't be afraid to try it again!

    SP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM, January 19, 2007  

  • My one and only felted project - a booga bag - took at least five and I think more, passes through the hot water agitation/cool rinse cycle until it felted to the degree I wanted... with substantial felting between the last and next to last go rounds and very little between the initial ones.

    My suggestion... try it one more time, but soak it in really hot water BEFORE you put it in the machine. I find that the machine does not get as hot as might be needed.

    It is a cool bag!

    By Blogger Kathleen, at 3:00 PM, January 19, 2007  

  • Yes, you are very thoughtful here, aren't you! I think the bag looks great - I'm sure your pal will be pleased, no matter which one you send. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 2:36 PM, January 20, 2007  

  • What a very beautiful bag this is, and I for one think that the size of it is just perfect! The picot edging you added is so beautiful - great job indeed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 AM, January 21, 2007  

  • i think i read somewhere that youdon't have to lose all stitch definition.
    i can tell you that my boiled wool jacket from austria had stitch definition and this is a traditional coat.
    i like it.
    and i like the photos.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM, January 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home