Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'm flashing over here!

Snow! It's the nice light dry stuff. It took about 5 hours to dig the door out this morning though. Just kidding. It's only about a foot of snow. It took all of 15 minutes to shovel the little deck, steps and walk. It looks pretty impressive when you hold the camera near the ground though.
Last night was sort and reorganize the stash night. I want life to be easy while I am trying to participate in Project Spectrum. After I took everything out of the containers and boxes, I realized that I have more than I thought I did of some colours and less of others. (I like how Firefox gets pissy and underlines Canadian/British spellings of words. I am still very easily amused.)

February and March - Blue, White and Grey. I have more blue than I thought I did. It makes me happy that I will get to use my Cha-Cha and my Debbie Bliss right away though. I think a nice pair of Fetchings and I'll figure something out for the Cha-Cha. I like it too much to think about walking through the fur-pit all day in them so I think I will find a nice stitch pattern or two and turn it into a short scarf and gloves set. There's over 500 yds there so it should be enough. I may also get finish my thrum mitt kit.
April/May - Green, Yellow and Pink. I have way more pink than I thought I did and a lot less yellow than I thought. I think there will be many dishcloths and little baby cloths done during these months. I may even figure out how to do the cape for Girly.
June and July - Red, Black and Metallics. I have no metallics, no surprise there. I could have sworn I had more reds and blacks though. Apparently not. This poor pitiful pile is all of it. That includes all the black acrylics I could find too. There are three more balls of reds in the acrylics bag, still a pitiful pile since most of it is frogged yarn.
August and September - Brown, Orange and Purple. I was surprised by my browns I didn't think there would be more than a few balls. There is one ball of a nice dark Lopi I found after I took this picture, but most of it is very pale and could be included in the whites pile as Ecru if it didn't have a slightly aged patina to it. Spa cloth and lace months, I think. One lonely little ball of orange. Poor thing. I'll have to get some friends for it by the end of the summer.
A motley bag of acrylics. There is another smaller square bag with three balls of red in it and a white trash bag of all the whites, blues and browns I got from a friend's attic quite a while back. I may have to start and finish the blanket for her in the first two months although I am thinking I may have to get started on that after I clear my plate no matter what month it is.
There you have it, all the yarn I own. It's more than I thought I had. I know it is a lot less than what many people have, but when you haven't got much space, even a small stash can seem really big. Although I managed to compact the piles quite a bit during the reorganization, one corner of my living room is still pretty darn full. I may have to participate in the stash-a-long informally and with no promises not to add to it. I will just have to work hard at knitting up more than I buy.

Now, time to go shovel the car out before the piles of snow start to freeze and get heavy. More snow pictures tomorrow.

P.S. I will finish my Red Scarf and see if it softens up in the wash. If not, I will be getting some thick red and maybe holding it together with a black or grey then knitting like mad to finish before it's too late.

6 Comments:

  • PS 2.0 is going to be a great thing for you. I just reorganized my stash yesterday, but I love your color approach. I'm going to have to go up and re-contemplate the stash again!

    By Blogger Liz K., at 10:51 AM, January 11, 2007  

  • I love how organized you are with your yarn! Very motivating :0)

    You gotta love dry, light snow - so much better for shoveling!

    By Blogger Charity, at 11:50 AM, January 11, 2007  

  • Hi Dorothy,

    I'm jealous of your stash! That's enough yarn for me to..... well..... do stuff with! LOL. I think this cold weather/blizzard we are having here is getting to my head.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. The musical note dishcloth pattern is a freebie from http://www.knittingknonsense.com/musicnotes.html

    A fun quick pattern! Well, back to the knittin'!

    By Blogger Michele, at 4:59 PM, January 11, 2007  

  • My gosh, what a stash! And I thought I had a lot of yarn here... ;) And the colours - yummy, absolutely yummy! Not to mention the snow pic - do I need to mention that we had something like a tornado here last night - with warm, subtropical winds? *Shakes her head in disbelief*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM, January 11, 2007  

  • "i am not addicted. i could stop any time."

    never said in cozy canada.

    i think all uk/us spellings AND homonyms should be underlined in green. just to get one to check. did you mean color or colour? did you mean here or hear?

    did you mean yarn or anabnormalamountofspunproduct?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 AM, January 13, 2007  

  • and by "cozy canada", i meant your place. i'm sure there are knitting canadians out there who aren't attending KSA.

    me? i don't EVER get them all out at once. denial, toots. dee nye all!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 AM, January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home