Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Monday, January 22, 2007

The bag, the almost final chapter.

I know, I was supposed to mail it on Friday, but I couldn't. I really wasn't happy with it. After all we were supposed to make a bag to go in our kits not a basket cover. I felted it one more time and that made me happier about the fabric itself, but the shape still wasn't what I had wanted. So I wandered on down to my LYS to show the owner and see what she thought. She thought pretty much the same thing I did about it. We loved the stitch pattern on it, but that shape. What to do, what to do. Suddenly the LYS owner had an epiphany. Why not sew the corners of the sides together to give it more of a purse shape? Brilliant! So that was the plan. Add straps and sew the corners of the sides together. Then I found the new VK and saw this bag. I knew we were on the right track.

Here it is. I love it! Now I will be happy to mail it to my pal. The front.

The back.

The side. If I had more time I would add a stiffener to the bottom, but I've already pushed my luck too far.

The back has a little crocheted flower on it. I have no idea how I managed to do this. I just fiddled and cursed until it had a flower type look.

Now that I am happy with my KMKS bag, I get to keep this bag. I really like this one and now that it has been felted, I can use it as a shopping bag. It only took a moment of panic to make me get off my behind and felt it.


For those who asked, I used the dryer felting method. I got it soaking wet, rubbed in a little baby shampoo, ran it under hot water then threw it in the dryer on the hot setting. I started checking the progress after about 20 minutes. If after 40 minutes it still wasn't doing anything, I took it out, ran it under cold water then under hot again and threw it back in. It took nearly an hour and a half of that to felt the blue bag to my satisfaction and two hours to felt the Basket of Keys bag.

15 Comments:

  • I really like how the bag turned out. If you have time, you can just cut out a piece of cardboard and wrap it in some fabric to stiffen the bottom a little.

    By Blogger Saun, at 9:36 AM, January 22, 2007  

  • The bag looks great, i'm sure your pal will love it :)

    By Blogger Barb, at 10:34 AM, January 22, 2007  

  • Oh, Dorothy! That bag looks terrific!

    I am working on rounding up the last odds and ends to go in your final package, and should put it in the mail Saturday.

    SP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM, January 22, 2007  

  • Whoa, that really did turn out nice! Great idea for the save ... and the flower is a cute touch. Your pal is going to love it ... Really!!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:37 AM, January 22, 2007  

  • I'm still laughing about the picture where the bag is a sweater from a previous post! I love the stitch pattern, and it looks great felted! You have a lucky swap pal.

    By Blogger Liz K., at 11:52 AM, January 22, 2007  

  • The bag turned out just beautiful!!!! Now I'm really going to make the Doctor's bag from Knit 2 Together!

    Your SP sure is lucky!!!

    By Blogger buttercup, at 2:51 PM, January 22, 2007  

  • that would be a better way for felting if you're where water is scarce (qld!), but we don't have a dryer. still... when we do... i'm felting that way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM, January 22, 2007  

  • Well done, Dorothy! All that fussing, and look what you came up with! I'm so impressed, the bag(s) are really, really great. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 8:34 PM, January 22, 2007  

  • Both of the bags are just fabulous! The KMKS bag is really wonderful - you don't even realize your own talents, missy! :) I'm sure your pal is going to love it and you will get all sorts of good use out of the blue and brown bag. I've never felted using your dryer method....

    By Blogger Kristy, at 9:17 PM, January 22, 2007  

  • lovely job! What a treat awaits in the mail for your pal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 PM, January 22, 2007  

  • Now, this was definitely an epiphany - what a great idea! Your pal is a very, very lucky one, that's for sure! And your second bag is so cool too, perfect size and very beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 AM, January 23, 2007  

  • Oh, I almost forgot: I think your prayers worked, Dorothy! It's snowing outside - heavily! Thanks for that - it's been you who sent this over, I'm sure about that! Hallelujah!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 AM, January 23, 2007  

  • Great job Dorothy! You should be proud!

    By Blogger Martina, at 8:10 AM, January 23, 2007  

  • You have the luckiest pal ever! That bag is seriously gorgeous. Congratulations!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM, January 23, 2007  

  • yeah, you have a seriously lucky pal. that bag is GORgeous.

    By Blogger carrie, at 8:29 PM, January 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home