Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Knitting Wormhole, like the black hole, but different.

This weekend was one of those weekends on the knitting front. Everything I knit did not work. Yarn went into the wormhole and came out the other side useless. I have been trying to design a lace scarf with some really nice Fleece Artist sock yarn and so far, it is not even close to looking like the picture in my head. Yarn in, frog out. I wanted to make it as a gift, but the amount of swearing that has gone into this yarn makes me not happy about giving it as a gift in this form. A gift should have far more happiness going into it than swearing. Happiness like walking into a knick knack shop two weeks before Christmas and finding that teacup your favourite aunt broke years ago. You know the one in that discontinued china pattern that is so crazy hard to find, her tea set hasn't been complete since and this teacup is priced for $5.00. That kind of happy. This scarf does not have that kind of happy. Even if the pattern works out, it won't balance out. So I've changed my mind. I'm going to try a different scarf altogether and hope that works out, but if it doesn't, I have a backup plan.

This square too, it is supposed to be 8" wide. I could have sworn it was 8" wide on Friday when I measured. One pattern repeat later, it is 8 1/2" wide. WTH?! So this can't be sent off. I'll keep at it and turn it into a dishcloth. Not completely uselss, but not what I had wanted.

So I dyed some white B&L Atlantic I had leftover from another project and I'm hoping this turns out better. I don't want the wormhole moving over someone else's knitting, but it would be nice if it wasn't over mine anymore.

Then there is this. This is some Bulky Lopi. I've been eyeing up Invested for a while and now is the perfect time for a warm vest that won't take forever to knit. Although, I'm afraid to start knitting just in case that wormhole is still hanging around.


Spring is definitely here. This mist was alternating between this and thicker all day yesterday and it's still there this morning. The Mr. laughs every time I say things like "Wow, it's really thick out there." apparently the Atlantic throws off fog thick enough you can't see the tip of your nose. That sounds cool.

The best thing about spring though, puddles.

Even if you have to walk nearly under the car to splash in them.



Planning on going to Boston's Independant Film Festival in April? Check out the website Frecklegirl's Casey set up. I wish I had had guides this organized for some of the events I've been at. I wouldn't have missed the things I really wanted to see while watching something else until I figured out what it was supposed to be/do/say.

6 Comments:

  • I agree with the Mister about the Atlantic Fog. Where I grew up we had our own 'fog factory' just offshore. It's always neat to actually watch it roll in..you're sitting in the sun watching this white wall come toward you, then you're sitting shivering in the cold damp fog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM, March 26, 2007  

  • Your "wormhole" image captures that universal feeling every knitter knows. Sorry you had an unproductive weekend, but you gave me a good laugh!

    By Blogger Liz K., at 3:17 PM, March 26, 2007  

  • those pink galoshes are too cute!

    #4 is my fave of the last bunch of photos.

    thanks for my sock compliment, and the eye wishes, all better now :-)

    By Blogger vanessa, at 7:17 PM, March 26, 2007  

  • I love the colour of the yarn you dyed! It's excellent - what did you use?
    Look at the dedication children have. And that is why you must always have a change of clothes on hand - they WILL find the puddles and they will go IN the puddles. And don't you remember how fun that was - exploring the constantly changing world around you? Thanks for sharing the pics of your girls explorations.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 2:38 AM, March 27, 2007  

  • Oh, poor you - sometimes things, especially on the knitting front, just don't go as planned, and it's a nightmare indeed, isn't it?
    But the colour of the yarn you dyed is so absolutely awesome!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 AM, March 27, 2007  

  • wormholes aren't fun in anything.

    i'm sure there is a light at the end of it.

    LOVE your green and red/orange. they'll get you out of the funk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM, March 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home