Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Distractions from total lack of knitting progress.

Girly's little nose was running so much, that between cries of "Blow my nose!" and potty breaks for the other little miss who is just beginning to discover the joys of the going on the pot (usually after in the diaper), washing hands and brushing teeth routine, I didn't get much other than chores done. She started to feel yuckky again in the afternoon (too stuffed up to nap well). She's still on the mend, but from the sounds of it, this is a long nasty cold. Poor, sweet. Note Feather and Fan afgan knit by my Grandmother. I've had that since I was 18.


A couple of people asked about this little sweater. Some of you recognize it now. It's the Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono from the Mason Dixon book. Yes, it is my first sweater. I like how the colour pooling created a diamond effect on the back of the sweater. I love how easy this was to do and will make more of these for sure. Especially since the giant $8.00 ball of cotton I was using will probably make another one and a small wash cloth or two. When I get to it (famous last words) I'll add a little crochet edging to this and some buttons and loops to close. Ribbon is so pretty, but on a wiggly little kid, it never stays tied up without a good shot of glue. Never a good idea. It comes off in the wash. Ask me how I know. It was a little decorative bow and Girly wasn't in it at the time.

Knitting something like a scarf or a bag where fit doesn't matter all that much is easy to me. No problem, because if it doesn't work out like you thought it would, it doesn't really matter all that much. No one other than you is going to notice any but the worst of errors. Mitts and hats, if they don't fit are not as painful to have to give away. Not as much time, effort or yarn in them. Sweaters though, that's a whole 'nother ball game. It has to work every time and "ah, whatever" doesn't cut the mustard. This sweater was the perfect thing to break the ice for me. Now I don't feel as weird about trying out some of those patterns in the Top Down for Toddlers book. I think the Steadfast Fibres and Freedom Spirit yarns will work perfectly for one of them and since the yarn is a heavier weight than the ones they use, I won't have to try to run the numbers too much. I can just knit a size smaller that Girly wears and it should fit. Of course if I am just ostrich-ing here, I won't cut my yarns on a colour change. I'll just leave a long loop between changes and if it works, I can just cut the loops and weave the ends in. If it doesn't work, I rip and start over without have a bunch of little balls of each colour running around. I'll show you what I mean when I get going on one.

I tried and

tried again to get a good not blurry picture of Girly and pets playing with the ribbon stick. They have been loving it every afternoon after the others go home for the day.

Girly: (Happily hums a tuneless tune) Sam: "Mmmm, ribbon, tasty." Apollo: "Gimmie the stick, gimmie the stick, c'mon, gimmie the stick?!"

The action. I'm the wingnut with the giggles. Girly's voice is a little rough from the cold.

9 Comments:

  • Oh, I thought "poor girly" laying there sick with her dolly & afghan [one of my afghans to snuggle under always make me feel better too] but she seems a lot better now playing with the ribbon stick. Nice to see.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:30 AM, March 14, 2007  

  • I hope you gain some sweater confidence with the Kimono. You can do it!

    I also hope you get some knitting time. Between runny noses and potty training, you're busy!

    By Blogger Liz K., at 7:35 AM, March 14, 2007  

  • awww poor girl, hope she's feeling better soon, love the kimono, they're fun too knit, i've made one and thinking of starting another in Red Heart too see how large it turns out :)

    By Blogger Barb, at 8:12 AM, March 14, 2007  

  • Even feeling crummy your Girlie is just too cute. And what a well behaved puppy Apollo is!

    The kimono sweater is precious. I have been contemplating one, too. I wonder if I could make one out of hemp...Do you remember what the pattern calls for in the boo? (I am at home and - tragically - all my knitting books are at home.)

    By Blogger Kristy, at 10:08 AM, March 14, 2007  

  • Soooo cute! (And good to see Bob the B in the background lol.) It's horrid when they stay poorly for ages - one minute they're up and about and demanding to carry on as usual, the next they're all curled up on the sofa again. I hope she's properly better soon.

    I love the kimono - the pooling is just perfect.

    By Blogger Anne, at 1:23 PM, March 14, 2007  

  • Actually, I also thought "poor little girlie" as I saw her lying there with her running nose - but she seems to be a lot better now playing with the ribbon - and she's so cute on these pics, what a sweetie!
    The little kimono looks so lovely - the pooling turned out really beautifully!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 AM, March 15, 2007  

  • I love the video - thanks for sharing. That is an excellent toy/gift - it amuses the whole family!
    I hope everyone feels better soon - this year the colds seem to be hanging on for a long time.
    That is great that you have a blanket that your Grandma made, what an heirloom.
    I love diamond, that is wild. The Kimono is such a great pattern. I have made it for much older children too. It is really easy to adapt.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 3:11 AM, March 15, 2007  

  • I'm sorry Girly is still not feeling well. It's so hard when they're sick.

    Love the photos with the ribbon stick -- cute!!

    Hope Girly is feeling better soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM, March 15, 2007  

  • I'm just catching up on Bloglines and came across this. Your dog is an interesting creature. Ours would use the distraction to run into the kitchen and dig through the garbage. But yours goes right for the action!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 AM, March 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home