Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I have got to get me a job.

Look what I am missing out on! Rhinebeck Blogger Bingo! I would love to do things like that. I would be the akward weirdo walking up to people and pestering them to see if they have a blog and are on the card. Of course, with something this going on, I wouldn't be the only one and then there's all the yarn, rovings and spinning to tried, seen and felt up.

Now if only daycare wasn't $33.00 a day and I wasn't woefully uneducated. I suppose I could ring groceries through a till at the local grocery for a good penny, but I am not big on that store. He has a really bad habit of jacking up the prices on decent diapers, Homo milk and formula. Anything people regularly buy to have shipped up north to the reserves are oddly high priced too.

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, so don't mind the ranty nature of the last little while. Winter is coming and I'm not an outdoor person at the best of times. When the mercury starts dropping (how old am I?), I hole up even more than usual and cabin fever sets in fast. I really wish there was something for a non-athletic type to do indoors around here that didn't cost a bloody fortune and didn't require regular attendance. I'm out of the whole drinking scene, not that that's a cheap past-time anyway, but it seems that's all people do here.

I'm thinking about trying to get a knitting group going. There are a few problems with that though.
1. The only places to meet where people wouldn't need a car or have to pay to get in are coffee shops. There aren't very many nice coffee shops with good coffee and a decent amount of seating either. In fact, there is one nice coffee shop that has good coffee, but it only has about 12 seats.
2. I don't think calling it Stitch and Bitch would go over very well up here though. I couldn't go every week since the Mr. has a wonky schedule.

What do you think, would you join a group that only met every two weeks? What would you call it?

I'm watching Calendar Girls on the CBC right now so I'm writing this with an English accent, by the way.

Edited to Add: Kristy, I haven't gotten anything yet. The mail can be really slow though. Molasses runs up hill faster sometimes.
Charity, I love the Misti Alpaca. Soft, squishy and not hard to handle even when your hands get sticky or sweaty. The poor skeins I sent my lace pal got felt up right well and so has the ball I just got. I hear it's surprisingly warm for something so light ... so soft ... so squishy ...
The purse will be felted. The vote was unanamous and I was kind of leaning toward felting too. Now, I just have to get to a top loading washing machine. Mine is a front loader and I don't want it to mat closed.

9 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry to hear about your impending cabin fever. I can't relate because I crave the winter I don't have...but I can sympathize.

    Obviously, my opinion doesn't count all that much because I am so far away but I would definitely attend a group that only meets every two weeks. I think that would be preferable, actual. Less pressure.

    (I take no credit for these...) Possible names: Sit & Knit, Knit Chat, Knitters Anonymous, Knot Just Knitters, Knitting Guild, Knit & Stitch, Close Knit, and my personal favorite one I've heard: Sheeper than Therapy.

    Also, have you been over to masondixonknitting today? Ann mentioned a group that is going to meet at the public library...maybe some place like that would work for you. I know of a quilting group in my town that uses some space at a church on a night they have other activities...

    By Blogger Kristy, at 12:27 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • Sheesh! Seriously, just tell me to shut up.

    By Blogger Kristy, at 12:27 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • I feel like you when winter comes, I'm cuddling up on my couch and would prefer not to leave it until spring arrives - except for hockey games that is, and even that won't happen this year. Duh ;( But, even though I claim I like nothing better than staying home, cabin fever sets in really quickly too, unfortunately...
    Your idea of starting a knitting group is so fantastic - I would definitely join it, even if the meetings would only be every other week. I'm sorry I'm of no help concerning a name, my creativity in such things in basically non-existant, but I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of ideas here! Thumbs up, and all the best with starting this group!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • Cracking good effort at the British accent thing, what with the "bloody" and the "wonky" thrown in there.

    I find it hard to get away for things like knitting groups when there are small children in the house. I know I need "me" time, but the guilt trips and the whining are not worth it. (And that's just from my husband.)

    Not good to be hitting a rut before winter even kicks in. How about a goal before the end of the year? Power knit, what? Cheeri-o.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:51 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • I completely understand. I feel that I am in the same position with one huge difference, I don't knit so I don't even have that to get me through the blues. I am in a funk also.

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 9:12 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • Love the idea for a knitting group! I would join a group that met every two weeks. I like the idea of meeting at the library, but I'm not sure if that would meet the "no car" criteria.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 AM, September 07, 2006  

  • Dorothy, I sat and watched Calendar Girls, too! I wonder if we could do our own fund-raiser....

    By Blogger Charity, at 2:26 PM, September 07, 2006  

  • Oh, second note: I am a member of a crafting/knitting group that meets every two weeks. We meet in a local church, even though a good number of us don't attend :0)

    It started as a knitting group, and has expanded to allow any ol' crafting you wanna do!

    By Blogger Charity, at 2:27 PM, September 07, 2006  

  • i'd suggest what charity did. when churches charge for space, it's really cheap. try there.

    not drinking takes a lot of options away. i don't drink and i'm in australia. pubs. yeah, not interested. one thing i did once when it was too hot to exhale, i went through old b&w movies. the thin man series. the hepburn/tracey movies. very fun... for me.

    everything costs money. soon we'll be charged for breathing space that is now owned by a conglomerate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home