Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

I love Canadian T.V.

This is Emily Yeung Learning how to Knit a Beanbag.

This is Emily Yeung Being Patient.

This is Emily Yeung Knitting.

This is Emily Yeung Playing with her Knit Beanbag.

Those are the actual titles of the shows "chapters".

Sam wants in on the Sleeping Olympics (You'll have to scroll down a bit, I can't get the trackback to work right). He's pretty sure he can win the weird positions event.


Q and A time again!

Kristy asks:
Dorothy, is it me or are you being intentionally vague about this "ringleader" and "a parcel to send up north". Have I missed something?

Yep, vague intentional. You will all find out eventually.

...and...

This pattern (Girly's Skinny Squishy Scarf, over in the sidebar) is super cute. Are you going to ditch the previous incarnation of the ISE scarf?

No, I am going to do that one and a chenille one, and decide which is softest and nicest. I hope, I am running out of time though!

Kathleen asks:
I'm in for the seeds and the fundraising... How do I convert my US$ to CN$? Will paypal do it for me?

Yes, Paypal will convert currencies. Whenever you are ready to pay for something, you just have to click on the select currency button. Canadian is CAD dollars.

Holly asks:
Great that you joined the choir. That can be lots of fun. Is your birthday the 6th of Dec.? Mine is too!

Yes. Just for Katy who loves her the numbers, on the 12th month, of the 6th day, I will be 33.

Dorothy writes:

my two cents. the holiday season is when folks feel generous and want to give to others. so when someone unexpectedly gives you a present, say thank you very much. and that's that. if they are truly in the holiday spirit, your gracious acknowledgement and delight are all they need. if they are keeping tally and get pissed that you don't reciprocate? well who needs them?

once I realised that the only reason such moments are awkward or nightmarish were because I made them so, then I realised I could change my attitude. the holidays are a lot less stressful as a result.

I do not give presents consistently, nor do I keep score. Some years it's a book, or jam, or cookies, sometimes nothing. sometimes I give a friend something at a random time of year, just because it feels right. I never expect reciprocation.

if folks gives me a present and gets their feeling bent, well, that's their problem. if they are really offering a gift, they are not really wanting to add to my stress, are they?

you live in a remote area, maintain a home, are raising a little one, and it seems you sometimes take care of other little ones? (I infer from your blog). you don't have the time nor the money to feel like you have to add someone to your gift list. If you want to, well that's another story.

when you have the time and energy to plan ahead, have fun making a few extra things, when it is a joy to create and share something, that's good. I'm just saying if it feels like a stressful obligation... that's something to think about.


In my head I know all this and most of my friends know our situation and don't expect anything, but my secret little heart always dreams of seeing a look of happy delight when a friend opens a gift you've made with your own two hands. Too many years of being too poor to give have left their mark and now I want to give all that I can to try to make up for all the years when all I could do was take and be grateful. My own hang up, I know. I try not to pass it on.

Katy asks:

What does Girly get paid for modeling? I think a good whopping$10,000/day like Linda Evangelista. Pretty yarn. Prettier model.

We pay her with Candian Tire money even though she is prettier than Linda Evangelista IMHO.



Finally a fast recipe that keeps well and makes a fabulous gift.

You need:

- 1 pound of Belgium Dark Chocolate (I go to the bulk food store and buy it in large chunks the chips have too much butter in them to work properly. White and milk chocolate work just as well)
- 2 cups of Rice Krispies or other puffed rice cereal (Most bulk food stores have a bin of that too.)
- 1 bag of Peppermint Candies about 3/4 of a pound (the green, red and white kind) (Again with the bulk food store. The red and white kind taste exactly the same. I just like lots of colour.)
- parchment paper

Line a large cookie sheet (it needs to have sides) with the parchment paper. Unwrap and beat the crap out of the candies until they are chunks. Don't go too crazy and turn them into powder though. I stick them in a Ziplock freezer bag, wrap it loosely in a towel and bang away with a hammer.
Put an inch or two of water in a pot and get it to a simmer. Meanwhile chop the chocolate into small chunks and put it in a large metal or other heat proof bowl. Don't get even a tiny drop of water in with the chocolate or it will turn into useless crumby stuff. Still tasty, but useless.
Put the bowl of chocolate on top of the pot of simmering water and stir once in a while until it's completely smooth. It should take about 5 minutes. Take the bowl off the heat and for heaven's sake, use oven mitts because that sucker will be hot!
Stir in cereal and spread evenly over the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with the candy chunks (use the powder in the bottom of the bag too). Put a piece of parchment paper on top of it all and gently press the candy chunks into the chocolate mixture. Chill in the fridge for no more than 1/2 hour. If you leave it in too long, the candy will start to get soft.
Peel the paper off, break into chunks and try not to eat too much at once.

I get pretty boxes from the dollar store, fill it with the chocolate, tie a bow on it and use this as gifts.

4 Comments:

  • We are getting a few canadian shows down here and they are HUGE favorites with my 2 year old. Her favorite show is Doodlebops and the show your post reminded me of was Daniel Cook, do you guys watch these? Bella wants to be DeeDee Doodle for halloween. Too much $$$ she is going to be a ladybug!

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 1:17 PM, September 24, 2006  

  • OMG i laughed when i seen that Emily Yeung episode....your too funny taking pics...and that recipe sounds very yummy :)

    By Blogger Barb, at 8:44 AM, September 25, 2006  

  • oh yum! this might be my accompanying gift for xmas.

    Canadian Tire Money? i think girly needs a car doctor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM, September 25, 2006  

  • Oh, we sat and watched Emily Yeung learn how to knit a beanbag, too! :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 10:01 PM, September 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home