Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Photos?! Ve got your photos!

Friday I had gone to Dryden to get some shopping and an errand done. While I was there, I decided to duck into the Salvation Army to see what they had for dresses for my girly girl, ... Girly. Nothing worth buying for her, but I found some really good sweaters. The red one is 100% cotton, but it is (machine)knit so densely that it is nearly wind proof as I found out yesterday. The bottom left is the first Alpaca blend sweater I have ever bought and it is surprisingly scratchy. It's light and warm, but since the knit side is inside, it isn't as soft as the outside. Good thing it's for the Mr. and he'll wear it over another shirt anyway.

This though is the real treasure. Handknit in the round. Nice and soft too. Way too big for me, but since we do want to have another baby after Girly is in school and I have worked for a bit, I'm going to put it away and save it for then. I got big enough with Girly to fit it, so it will probably fit during another pregnancy.

Whoever knit this is pretty darn good. Check out the inside.

Saturday there was a huge garage sale at the home of a packrat collector. I got some really nice baking dishes in sizes I don't already own and a few other little things, but this pot put a smile on the Mr.'s face. Funny. I really bought it for yarn dyeing, but since his annual May long fishing trip is coming up, he thinks it would be great for hanging over a fire and boiling potatoes or water for doing dishes. So he gets to take it with him as long as it comes back in usable shape. The poor neighbours. I am one step away from a cauldron in the backyard.

There were a ton of bottles there too and I thought these would be a pretty way to store beads and buttons. Although the two with the handles on them are originally wine decanters and may get used that way again. Right now they are clean, shiny and showing me how long it has been since I washed the rest of the glass stuff on top of the cupboards. The aqua glass one had me thinking of a nice boucle yarn. It's my favourite.

Then there is the real find. I was looking through a box of stuff, when I noticed this. A work in progress. Apparently the wife was a knitter (All the rest of her stash had already been appropriated by the mother of the woman running the sale, I offered to fight her for it, but it was already gone.) and this was in her box of UFOs. I won't be able to finish it since there was no red yarn and what is left of the white and black wouldn't be enough anyway. I like the pattern though. I couldn't even find the other knitting needle. It is wool so I think a nice felted bag, clutch and wallet type of thing. It needs washing anyway, so why not in hot water?

Look at where she got the wool! Apparently when you bought a sweater kit from Mary Maxim, you had a choice of wool or acrylic. Nice choice and it feels like a nice wool too.

Maybe Mary Maxim will consider bringing it back since more and more people want good quality wool.

Tomorrow another prize for the Relay for Life draw. It's a good one too. Hint: There are many.

6 Comments:

  • Good god. That's score-alicious!

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 12:51 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • Love all your finds, Dorothy!

    Now, a cauldron in the backyard.... that's a heck of an idea! :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 2:26 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • just a quickie as i'm setting you on my favourites at work and trying to be sneaky. haven't read it all, but did get a bit. NICE SCORE!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • NICE SCORE! you did quite well, ejoy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • Wow, you found some great finds! The warmer weather brought out the bargain-hunter in you I see, LOL.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:48 AM, April 24, 2007  

  • Wow!!! Now, these are the most awesome findings - you must have felt like Xmas and birthday at once, didn't you? I'm totally impressed by the knitting of the upper handknit sweater - very beautiful indeed! And what a great idea it is to fill these gorgeous bottles with beads and buttons, this is going to look so unique! Ahhh, you made me really greedy to hit a garage sale too - hopefully there'll be some around here soon ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 AM, April 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home