Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, April 13, 2007

I'm in the colour.

The silk dyeing experiment went well. Meet Desert Fire. This is 285m/312yds of 100% silk. It isn't the slippery smooth kind of silk, although it was a mess in the dyepot and a few shakes later, it was mostly untangled and ready to hang up. It is more of a matte type of silk. Smooth and subtle with all the drape but a bit of a grab on the knitting needles. Elann has it listed as a chunky weight, but it's really a worsted weight.
If you want these three skeins, donate to my walk in the Relay for Life and I will put your name in a hat along with everyone who has already donated or purchased a total of $10.00 worth of items before shipping. For every $10.00 you donate, your name will go in one time. I'll be posting the winners on June 11th. I'm going to be doing up more yarn here and there and offering it up as prizes so the more you donate, the more chances you have to win something. The Paypal donate button is in my sidebar or you can e-mail me at knittingintothecold @ gmail . com (easier to keep track of stuff on gmail than on yahoo) and let me know if you would rather send a money order or cheque.

I finished the right side of Invested. Can you see the problem though? Mmm-hmm. That waist is bigger than the body and the waist is the thing that fits me for sure. Apparently I can't count to 10. I am not going to rip everything back, I refuse. So I am going to knit up some inserts for under the arms and sew them in instead. I should be able to knit the cable chart (one repeat width, two repeats height with a couple of garter stitches on either side) and use that as an insert. I really need to figure out what size I really am. Good grief.

The melt goes on.

There is a wee bit of green starting to show up.

Today though, I will be in the corner. I am sorting and donating. Thanks to Rhonda my acrylics will have a new home. Even the ones I was supposed to do that blanket with. I cannot bear to knit with it. It was good a while ago, but apparently I am becoming a yarn snob. It must be good stuff, a good blend or natural fibres before I want to play with it. Mary Maxim Cloudspun just isn't cutting the snobbery. I'm still going to do the blanket, just with different yarns. Ones I like and want to knit with.


Want to get rid of your unloved yarns? Check out this post by Rhonda.

5 Comments:

  • I love the dyeing, Dorothy! You have such an eye for colour. :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 10:56 AM, April 13, 2007  

  • Your new dyed yarn looks lovely.

    BTW, thanks for the push to donate to the seniors for charity knitting. They'll really appreciate it. I'm bringing a truck load of yarn & books (from MIT, myself & Seed Stitch) up to them this weekend.

    Hey, I just noticed I have more room for the "good" yarn now (nose-in-air, hehe) Happy knitting!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:42 AM, April 13, 2007  

  • I think every knitter has a messy corner with unloved yarns!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM, April 13, 2007  

  • Your dyeing is absolutely gorgeous - these colours are a feast for the eyes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 AM, April 14, 2007  

  • Oh that yarn is lovely! And you dyed it yourself!! Way to go. The colours are awesome.
    You're a very talented lady. I love the work you are doing for RfL.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 6:11 AM, April 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home