Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This and that.

The green cotton sweater is growing slowly. Of course if I hadn't ripped it it would be even larger, but the first attempt was exactly the same size as a sweater that just fits Girly. Knitter's Law dictates that if you make a sweater to fit a child, no matter how fast you knit, that child will have a growth spurt the day you seam it. So I'm making it bigger and hoping I can get it to work out.

The Fantasi sweater got ripped too. Same reason. This yarn is not easy to pull out, but it is no where near as hard as mohair. I ripped one stitch at a time and held the old stitch with one hand and pulled with the other. Once I got into a rhythm it went surprisingly fast. It also held up very well to ripping. I'm going to change this into more of a fall jacket type thing than a cardigan. A little jacket with this stuff needs some big colourful buttons so instead of button holes, I'll knit a flap on one side and add some loops for buttonholes. If I have enough yarn, I'll even give a hood a try. I bet shortrows won't show holes with this stuff.

It rained a bit yesterday and the snow is nearly gone now. Humidity levels are starting to come up a bit (thank you, God) and so are the temperatures. They are still hovering around 0*C/32*F at night, but during the day, it is getting warm in the sun.

My shoots are doing really well and I am getting quite a few of them.

Some of you may recognize what they are now. Sshh, don't tell.


Three questions:

1. Are you teaching your children that violence is not the way to solve problems and that it is completely unacceptable behaviour in all circumstances by both your words and your behaviours?

2. Do you show kindness to people in little ways? Push a grocery cart across the parking lot for an elder or someone with two carts, hold a door for the person behind you? Offer to carry a bag up the stairs for someone who is obviously overburdened? Smile at the poor mother who's children are screaming in the store?

3. (Totally different subject) Are electric cars really a green alternative?

5 Comments:

  • 1. I try. I don't hit them and they do not hit eachother. Voices stay calm (mostly) and discipline is fair.
    2. My biggest small act is holding the door open for people, especially those with strollers or small kids, I know I appreciate it.
    3. No idea. With gas prices so high, I wish I could try one out.

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 2:40 PM, April 17, 2007  

  • lovely work (as always) can't wait to see the finished projects.

    Yes, violence is NEVER the answer, something that I try to highlight with my students often. Even when things seem "little" supporting people through everyday kindness HAS to help.

    If the car can be supplied by non-fossil fuel electricity (unlike most electricity generated in the united states) than yes it can be green. But, just plugging something in right now...well your carbon emissions are not coming out your tailpipe, but they are still there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM, April 17, 2007  

  • i go on vacation for a w hile and come back to SPROUTING?!?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM, April 17, 2007  

  • ah, the golden rule is king in our house :-)

    i hope apollo is feeling better.
    your tent is adorable!

    thanks for my scarf compliments!

    By Blogger vanessa, at 8:54 AM, April 18, 2007  

  • To answer your questions:
    1. No children here for me.
    2. Yep. My parents raised me so that I don't have to think much or try hard in this case, it's just something natural for me to hold up doors or helping elderly people carry their bags or whatnot. I also tend to smile when I go into stores and greet in a way that everyone hears me - and what really, really bothers me, especially here in Innsbruck, that 9 out of 10 people won't greet back. I mean, come on, can it be so hard? This certainly discourages me and I often wondered why in all the world I greet people unknown to me when I don't hear a "moooh" back. But still, this is inside me thanks to my parents, and so I'll continue with that. It's a small thing for me to do, and if one person out of 10.000 finds it nice, it wasn't in vain, right?
    3. No, definitely not. I fully agree with what you wrote in your April 18th entry about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 AM, April 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home