Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Knitting here, knitting there.

I looked around my living room this morning and you know how things just seem normal until that one time you look and everything just seems to show up more? Well, there is knitting or yarn related stuff on nearly every surface in my living room. My poor Mr. must love me very much.

The computer desk is covered yarn and unfinished projects, the buffet has little pots if Wilton's food dye and a couple of knit baskets from my first foray into pattern writing (I'll make one with a nice yarn and put it up one of these days). One still needs it's handles sewn on. One end table has a little body shop toiletries bag full of notions and the other is buried under knitting books and printed patterns and we don't want to go into tubs and boxes of yarn in the corner behind it. Well, we do, we just don't have the time this morning since my coffee just finished and the little Mr. will be here any minute.

I am still plugging away on the dancing slippers. They are crazy fast knits with a nice slippery, stretchy yarn like Paton's Katrina. When you knit through the back loop all the time, slippery yarns are way more fun because you can speed up. No fears of the stitch falling off the needle since you are pushing it back on every time. That would be why it was so much easier for me to walk and knit than it would be for most of you. I am nearly done with them though. Three pairs and one single finished, one more pair and one single to go.

I got a bit of "Knit something different" going on though. Another Ballband. Wow, viva la difference. I haven't knit a Ballband something or other in what, a week? I'm going to have start going to meetings. "Hi, my name is Dorothy and I'm a knitter. It has been four days since my last Ballband and I am very tempted right now."

On the other hand, I may have to go just to break myself of the cotton addiction never mind what I am knitting with it. Another baby kimono. No, still no news for me in that department. I do have life changing news, just not that kind.


Sadly the Mr. and I sat down and did up our finances. Sigh. We have come to the conclusion that if we are ever going to be able to pay off the debt we have, sooner than the payment schedules and maybe even be able to fix up this place or holiday one of these years (his parents are dying to see Girly and haven't been able to since she was 11 months old), I have to go back to work. I do want to be able to get out and do more than I currently can, but I don't want to.

I have never left Girly with anyone other than the Mr. and my family either. She'll still have her cousin at her daycare, but no Momma! She is excited, me, not so much. I have until September to get used to the idea and find a job. Ah well, I would have had to do this next fall anyway so might as well rip off that bandaid and get it over with. Having more money to spend on yarn won't hurt my feelings at all. Being able to holiday instead of just getting his holiday pay paid out to fix stuff would be a nice change too. I love to travel and miss getting to go here and there.

If you are interested in making my Wrapped in Cables scarf, you will need two skeins of Misti International Pima Cotton Silk or a nice drapey yarn in a worsted weight with approximately 350m/382yds, 5.5mm(US 9) knitting needles and a cable needle or this video by Wendy of Wendy Knits on cabling without a cable needle. I think a drapey yarn would be easiest to use, but if you wish to try a springy yarn with a lot of body, feel free. Just keep in mind that you may need to go up a needle size or two to prevent bunching around the cables.

6 Comments:

  • Love all those dancing slippers!

    That is really big news, Dorothy, and you're handling it pretty well - it is so hard, and such a tough decision. I know I feel torn all the time between working and being with my children...

    By Blogger Charity, at 10:55 AM, June 29, 2007  

  • I wish you luck on your work venture. Its amazing us moms have more stress and kids are doing fine and dandy. Remember to use knitting as a stress buster! It surely works.

    All the best,
    Michele
    http://www.lilyputts.com

    By Blogger Michele, at 1:17 PM, June 29, 2007  

  • Your post made me laugh - this is exactly how my home looks - my husband just shakes his head. I do most of my knitting at home knitting from the loveseat - when we have company I have to get a laundry basket and clean the other side of the loveseat off so that someone else can sit! I love the slippers - is there a specific pattern you are using. I am looking forward to being part of your team for Dishrag Tag!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM, June 29, 2007  

  • This is the best: Hi, my name is Dorothy and I'm a knitter. It has been four days since my last Ballband and I am very tempted right now."
    They are just beautiful and simple at the same time - what is not to love?

    I don't know if I missed something, I didn't realize you were awaiting news in the baby department...thanks for sharing. We will be waiting too.

    Sorry to hear about the back to work thing - I know, I work in childcare and it is a very difficult thing to do to entrust us with your most precious possession. Parents are really very exceptional people - the daily sacrifices you make.

    BUT to be thinking of all that you will be able to share with your family by working is the best outlook, and sounds like you have some great plans to work toward. And there ain't nothin' wrong with increasing the stash either!

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 8:12 PM, June 29, 2007  

  • work isn't toooooo bad. if you don't get stuck with workmates that make you want to suck glass shards.

    let's blow off work and just apply for that job called "just plain rich". we'll promise not to be idle or stoopit, just let us live debt free.

    too much?

    girly will love telling you about all the things that go on when you're not there. her own version of "my day at work" for family chats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 PM, June 29, 2007  

  • I'm so sorry to hear about the financial problems you're having and the fact that you'll have to go to work again and leave the girlie at the daycare. I can well imagine what a tough decision this is and that you so don't want to do that. But it seems you have some really good plans and I just know that it will work out in the end - certainly better than you expect it to. Fingers crossed, and all the best of luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 AM, July 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home