Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

How I knit.

I am a Combination knitter. Also called Eastern Uncrossed knitting. Doesn't that sound so exotic? I think I may use that term all the time. Brings to mind beautiful women sitting in a bamboo forest, with topknots and full dress kimonos knitting by a mysterious pool in a hidden grotto, giving bumbling Scottish Norwiegens such as myself misleading clues to a hidden treasure. Ahem, anyway ... I found the pattern for this lace square over here scroll down one post. She got a totally different result than I did.


The close up of the stitch pattern. Brings to home how different any lace project I make is going to turn out! I either have to adjust the pattern to fit my knit or the knit to fit the pattern. I didn't think it would matter this much. Other patterns don't. Sigh. I see I have some consulting to do with the talented Annie Modesitt on lace before I try a big prject.


On another note, just another little tidbit of information about my hometown for all you fibre artists out there. This is only an hour and fifteen minute drive from the yarn store. You can wander about yourself or they also do guided tours. Very child friendly ones too! We used to go every year for school trips during the spring. Right after the lambs were born. A trip to our little yarn store is now even more desirable isn't it! :-D


Edited to add: My swatch is made using the first pattern on the Double Helix blog. You should be comparing my swatch to her first swatch. That way you'll get an idea of how the different styles of knitting turn out using the same pattern. Her second swatch was done with the changes she made to the pattern she was given. I'm glad you like mine better Cynthia, it'll be showing up on your doorstep when I get a few more squares done! :-) Those Warming Grace squares are the perfect size for a guage swatch and I don't feel like I'm wasting yarn!

3 Comments:

  • Having read Annie's books I am familiar with your style. You should definitely email her; although I have to say, even though it doesn't look like lace I kind of prefer your swatch to hers. Annie is great. You will work it out; being a continental knitter I had the hardest time figuring out lace (I don't know why) and then it just worked out. Good luck!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:16 PM, June 20, 2006  

  • Your swatch certainly does look a tad different than the one on the other blog - hmhhh, I wonder why that could be? But anyway, I have to agree with Cynthia, I like yours better - the other one seems so, hm, fragile, too fragile actually, while yours is just cool. Yeah, it is! Lace sure asks for a heap of concentration, and, as I learned the hard way: Practising, practising, practising! You'll be a pro in no time, just knit and see!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 AM, June 21, 2006  

  • Well, there's something to be said about all five versions - two of mine and three of yours. (Your tension is beautiful, by the way.) For what it's worth, I knit Continental and loosely. The sum of the differences is that your ridges are accompanied by smallish holes, and your flatter bands are accompanied by largish holes. (Comments apply to English swatch.) On mine, the ridges and the larger holes are together, and the flat bands pair with the smaller holes. I suspect that we wrap the yarn differently.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM, June 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home