Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Cops for Cancer

The Cops for Cancer portion of the Relay went pretty well. I'm not sure how many people shaved their heads, but, there were a record number (for Sioux Lookout) of women participating. That people from all backgrounds get together to help prevent more people from dying of cancer is a beautiful thing to behold. Even better that anyone whose hair was longer than six inches donated it to Locks of Love so that children suffering from cancer and it's treatments can have a natural wig so they don't have to add teasing to it all. Here are just a few of the brave participants.
From the young one on the left with a lot of hair to lose to the cop on the right with just a little off the top ...

to the rough and tumble fellow with the most hair to lose ...

to women who lost a sister recently ...

to women who look good bald ...

to technicians with big dreams and hearts ...

to one of the stylists who was doing the shaving.


Cancer doen't care who you are, what you do or where you dream of going, it just happens. It turns your life upside down and takes your security and sense of who you are and forces you to change everything or break. These shaved heads didn't just raise money, they proved that a razor can create beauty out of sorrow.

The moon hung in silence. Ever watchful, always bright, the shining orb outshone by the beauty that humanity created.


The purse is finished, sewn together and awaits felting. Now to clean up the pattern a little and send it off for perusal.

4 Comments:

  • What a great way to raise money, awareness and HAIR (for Locks of Love). I don't think I could ever shave my head, although I've threatened it many a time.

    My friend's 7 year old daughter who had hair almost to her waist recently asked to get her hair cut to shoulder length so she could donate it to Locks. It was a really sweet thing for her to do and she looks like a young lady with her hair much shorter.

    By Blogger buttercup, at 3:08 PM, June 13, 2006  

  • Congratulations on all this great work. This is such a disturbing disease, it's great to see so many people pitching in and trying to find some resolution. Next time I go crazy choppping off long hair I'm going to try to donate, I'm in the growing out stage for now, and it has been known to happen!

    By Blogger Jana, at 8:15 PM, June 13, 2006  

  • Excellent post Dorothy. I remember when my niece was first diagnosed with cancer my brother was able to get 30 other people to cut their hair to raise money and hair for kids with cancer. As long as we are able to remain compassionate we will be better off. Great job!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:48 PM, June 13, 2006  

  • What a wonderful and touching post, Dorothy - it made me think a lot indeed. It's such a courageous act of all the people there getting their hair shaved, what an amazing sign of sympathy and compassion! I wish there would be something similar over here - I got a big lot of my hair cut in February and I would have been more than happy to be able to donate it to such a worthy and good cause like Locks is!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 PM, June 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home