Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Look what I can do!

So this is what I wanted to post yesterday. I learned a new trick on Sunday! Kool-aid dyeing! I've been wanting to try this out for a while, but, I've been so busy knitting for deadlines that I haven't been able to.
I got the directions and went to town. I handpainted one and dyed another.



I used the stovetop method so I could see what was happening as it happened. My microwave is really small too.



See the white spot? Things did not go perfectly as I had envisioned them doing. I have mentioned before that I am easily deluded no? Make sure you untie or loosen the knot before dyeing. It will make rewinding a real pain in the hinney, but I would have avoided the spot. I'll be overdying this one with more red. I did want a bit darker of a colour anyway.



The colour is lighter than it appears in these pictures. Most likely because there is a 20% nylon content in this wool (Briggs and Little - Durasport). I followed Knitty's directions as well as I could for this one so it shouldn't be my fault. Although stranger things have been known to happen around me!



Here is the handpainted one. The purple is lighter than I wanted. Must be the 20% nylon. I'll probably overdye the purple too. Knitty's directions are a little unclear on whether or not to squeeze out excess water before painting. Don't. In fact next time I try dyeing a dark colour, I'm going to leave the skein soaking wet and dip one end first. I found that the purple really got soaked up and coloured more wool than I wanted.



It started to get really grey outside before I was finished so here they are drying in the bathroom. High enough so that Sam and Jezzy can't decide to play with/eat them.



The purse is really coming along! I'm getting nervous about submitting it though. What if it isn't complicated enough? What if they look at it and say "What the $%^&% is this supposed to be??!! Sigh. Who knew knitting could be scary! I'll just have to put my head down, plow through and hope someone other than me likes it!

1 Comments:

  • Wow, I really love your dyeing, great job you did - both colorways are so happy and cheerful! Gosh, you should have seen my first - and last - dyeing attempt, I bow my head in shame! :(
    Don't worry about the purse, it'll be just perfect, and no one will say it isn't complicated enough. It's not a question of something being complicated, but of great looking, coming in handy and nicely done - and this I'm sure you'll manage perfectly!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home