Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another score.

I went to the Salvation Army here in town yesterday and look what I found. Some books, cotton yarns, and scarves. These scarves are handknit. They seem to be wool and very well done, but the blue one is scratchy and they are both too wide and short for my taste, so a-ripping I will go. If you are the knitter, I'm sorry. You have really even tension and the stitch pattern is perfect for a nice warm scarf.

One down, one to go. This yarn is really nice stuff. Soft, springy and warm. Whoever the original knitter was, they have great taste in yarn. I think I'll turn this into a nice long scarf that's a bit narrower than the originals. I'm planning on turning the blue ones into a nice felted purse.

I even found a baggie full of buttons. Some are way too small for knit items, but some are good finds.

Some pretty metal and wood ones. I see earth colours in soft yarns someday.

Some funky blue ones that would look perfect on a cream or soft blue sweater.

I love that the Salvation Army cuts the buttons off of shirts and skirts that can't be used. Nothing good is wasted.

8 Comments:

  • I love thrift shopping, one man's junk is my treasure!

    You really scored on the buttons!

    By Blogger Amy Lu, at 9:52 AM, September 27, 2006  

  • that reminds me of my mother's tin of buttons. I loved to rummage through them. But I have no idea how folks amassed so many buttons! what a fun find.

    By Blogger Dorothy Neville, at 10:18 AM, September 27, 2006  

  • I had forgotton SA does that - I remember my mum buying button bags when I was little. What fun we had sorting and organizing them all :0)

    By Blogger Charity, at 12:17 PM, September 27, 2006  

  • What a wonderful find on the scarves and the buttons! I have a big tin of buttons - most of which I picked up at antique stores. When you only pay a dollar or so for a whole big bag, you don't feel obligated to use every single one. There is something comforting and right about having a jar full of buttons

    By Blogger Kristy, at 2:48 PM, September 27, 2006  

  • Well done! You have a great eye.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 PM, September 27, 2006  

  • Very cool! Excellent find. My Mum had a button jar when I was little too. Mine is still pretty small, but I'm working on it :)
    I recieved a LOVERLY package in the mail yesterday with your BEAUTIFUL yarn! Thank you SO much. It's stunning. Already packed for this weekend's studio tour (hours of car time) and will hopefully be enough for some socks (small ones)I'll send you pictures (or post if I have time to start a new blog!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 AM, September 28, 2006  

  • Wow, those are some great finds!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 PM, September 28, 2006  

  • i never find hand knitted stuff at the salvos. i'm still looking, but i don't find things i could reuse. good for you to take one article and give it new life. you've added a 4th r. reduce reuse recycle redo.

    i worked with a guy who was really grossed out by buttons. i thought, come on... no way. put 5 in his jacket. FREAKED OUT. and he was the athletic director! buttons. no kidding.

    looks like girly is much stronger than this guy. she's into the buttons!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM, September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home