Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm tired today.

Thank you all so much for all the compliments on Girly's bag and costume. I do like how the bag turned out, but when you have a picture of what you want to happen and it doesn't turn out that way, even if it is completely all your fault, you know. You know? So after Christmas, I'll fix it up a little and show you what I had in mind. The pattern is mine and once I get it all fixed up, measured and my scribblings tidied up, I'll put it up.

I didn't get much knitting done yesterday. I had to take Jezzie (my black cat) into the vet to see why she has the runs. The vet is an hour's drive away. Even if there was a vet here in town, unless it was an emergency, I would still take my babies to him. He rocks. He loves animals so much, that he got himself an RV and converted it into a travelling clinic so he can drive out to towns in the area where there isn't a vet and provide care to animals who wouldn't normally get any. If it weren't for him doing that, there would be a lot more unwanted puppies around and fewer vaccinated pets. Some people don't have access to vehicles and some simply can't be bothered to take the time to be responsible pet owners. He's one of those vets who is on call all the time too. God love him.

He isn't cheap though. He did a full work up on Jezzie and found nothing wrong. This means more suspended drops and if that still doesn't work we have to change her food. This makes me very happy. It drives the Mr. crazy that it cost him $257.00. His overtime is gone and there wasn't anything wrong with her. I think he would have been happier about the bill if she at least had the courtesy to be diseased. Now I feel both happy that there is nothing wrong with my baby and guilty that he can't enjoy the money he made with his overtime. Inner conflict like that makes it hard to get a good night's rest. I'm letting it go though.

Soon enough I'll have to go back to work and then we won't have to worry about stuff like we do. Two more years. Although I am thinking of talking to the principal of the school. Girly is going to be three in January and I'm confident that she could pass Kindergarten right now. She knows her alphabet and her letters, she can count to 18 in English and 10 in both French and Spanish, she can count stuff too without skipping items or numbers, she knows her colours and shapes and she knows how to operate a computer. If I turn it on for her, she can get on the internet, find her games and play them by herself (no worries we already have parent blockers and the computer is in the living room so she is well supervised). She memorizes books and songs like nothing too. I can't imagine where she is going to be in a year and she will get held back from Junior Kindergarten in the fall simply because she won't turn four until January. Hopefully the principal will see that too. I want her to enjoy the Kindergarten experience and feel like she is learning something.

So, where was I before that tangent hit?

Oh yeah, knitting. I managed to finish off another square for Grandmother Purl and did a few more rows on my sock.

I found some really pretty beads that go with the Malabrigo Suzanne sent way better than the clear ones did. So off they came and I'll be restringing in a day or two. I have a few plans and I hope I can figure out how to make them come to life. So a-charting I will go.

11 Comments:

  • The square is lovely. Why do you torment me so, posting pictures of your squares? Send them to me. I need squares! :)

    I understand that guilt about the kitty. I've been through it. Don't worry. It will pass.

    By Blogger Kristy, at 10:01 AM, November 02, 2006  

  • Oh, thank you for the reminder that my primary duty this weekend is to glue my butt to a chair until I get at least 1 square finished for Grandmother Purl. My original plan was to use Baby Ull in orange and green, but I think I'll have to break into the Mission Falls to make it go a bit faster.

    Now my only question is - should I go with the pink & purple cotton, or darker, more jewel-toned wools?

    Decisions, decisions!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • Lovely square for Grandmother Purl! And I'm so glad to hear that Jezzie is not ill... you must be relieved, guilt aside!

    By Blogger Charity, at 3:00 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • can't wait too see what you make with the yarn and beads, Girly and halloween bag are both adorable :)

    By Blogger Barb, at 6:24 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • Good luck with the kindergarten project. Here in Boston, there are a few schools that offer K0/K1/K2, which are for the three years preceding first grade. PeachPit, who will be four in January, is in K0 and appears to be thriving.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • Oh yes, I was also going to say, good luck with the kindergarten thing. Schools in my area are very inflexible on this point, unless you are transfering in from a different district. Happily, my kids have summer birthdays, so it wasn't an issue for our family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • Schools here do not allow anyone under 5 for kindergarden, birthdate cut off is Sept 15th. Bella's birthday is Aug 2nd so she will be barely 5. Giuli's will be in March and thank goodness she will be 2 years behind her sister. The preschools in our area don't have anything for kids under 3 1/2. It's hard Bella know all of her letters, numbers to 12 and more songs and dances than I can count. We still have a while. :(

    By Blogger Hoban Family, at 10:44 PM, November 02, 2006  

  • My vet for my bulldog is 90 minutes away. I totally feel ya.

    By Blogger Nic, at 12:32 AM, November 03, 2006  

  • I'm so glad to hear that everything is alright with Jezzie! I can absolutely understand why you're taking your little furry ones to this vet only - I've carried my Lady all around Innsbruck in the past years, but now I've finally found the right vet, thanks god. It's just so important to have someone who really cares and for whom the pet isn't just a number - they have to care, love the animals and know how to handle them caringly and sensitively, then they're good vets in my opinion. And if you've found the right one - which you very obviously did - then you shouldn't ever let him go, no matter how much he costs or where his office is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 AM, November 03, 2006  

  • So glad to hear that Jezzie is okay - though I hope her tummy feels better soon :)
    Sounds like Girly is as smart as she is cute. Too bad the schools are so strict about when kids can start. I guess there are reasons, but for little Smartypants it kind of sucks.

    By Blogger Spinner, at 1:10 PM, November 03, 2006  

  • i had a friend who used to work for aol. every now and then part of his job was to surf the net for things that got through parental controls and shouldn't and find out what got blocked and shouldn't have (like many science/zoology sites, because sex is all over it. as in sex: male/female). the best control is the combination of some computer software and the presence of a parent or teacher.
    we had a project when i was a teacher about s. american animals. i was GLUED next to the girl who chose the cock-of-the-rock and told her mom how to surf for cock-of-the-rock (by the way, if the hyphens are there, you only get the bird reference).
    what i couldn't control was the 5 second pause and uproarious laughter when on an event with parents, some kids were called on to say what they were studying and they called on CotR girl. the man with the microphone stuttered, "wh...what!?" and she repeated, "i'm learning about the cock-of-the-rock."

    aaaah kids (t is a beautiful bird, by the way)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 PM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home