Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

La, la, la, LA, la, la, la ... I need the practice.

Choir was going really well. For the first time last night we were put in the positions we are going to be in during the choir and myself and two others who were always in the front, got shuffled to the back of the women just in front of the men. Then we started to practice and it was like we were just learning all over again. Oy, what a mess. Songs sound so different from different spots in the choir. Songs I thought I was getting I completely messed up. Thing is, when you are loud, everyone knows that you screwed up especially when you are two notes higher than everyone else on the big finish. We have four practices left. Yeesh.

The hat grew. Wow, you're impressed with my speed aren't you.

Winter seems to have changed it's mind again.

It's supposed to get to +6*C/42.8*F again today.


A quick note, I forgot to add salt, pepper and garlic in yesterday's post. I went back and added them in, so you can add them to your copies.

Now, what you all really came here for today.


My Lasgane recipe.

Today's is the basic version but I'll add some of things I always use when I have them in italics.

1 onion (thinly sliced)
1 green pepper (finely diced) red pepper is tasty too
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
12-14 mushrooms (sliced)
1 large can crushed tomatoes (plum is best)
1 large can diced tomatoes (plum is best)
Handful of fresh oregano (finely chopped) or 1 tbsp dried oregano (crush it lightly in your fingers as you put it in) or substitute an equal amount of basil if you prefer
1 lb of ground beef (pork, veal, chicken and turkey work well too)
2 tsps paprika
salt and pepper to taste
12 lasagne noodles [(can be no boil if you like this recipe is saucy enough that you won't have to alter it to accomodate them) layer them in your cake pan first to make sure you'll have enough for four layers]
1 very large block of mozza cheese (the Mr. won't eat any other kind so add whatever you like best)
butter or extra virgin olive oil for pan
fresh spinach leaves, fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced eggplant, ricotta or cottage cheese (he never notices them)

Sauce:

In large saucepot saute onions in butter until carmelized add green pepper red pepper and mushrooms, saute until mushrooms have cooked down. Add garlic, saute one more minute then add cans of tomatoes, oregano, paprika, and beef. Stir until beef is well broken up. Bring back to boil and cover for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking to pot. Add salt and pepper and let simmer while you shred cheese. If you are using noodles that need to be boiled, start them at the same time you put the mushrooms in the pot then they should have enough time to cool to where you can handle them. If you forget, no big deal. Tomato sauces like to simmer and won't be hurt by a little extra cook time as long as you turn the heat down to low.

Layers:

Preheat oven to 400*F/200*C
In 9"x13" cake pan, spread enough sauce to keep noodles from sticking to bottom. Layer noodles.
Spread more sauce and some shredded mozza (very thin layers of mozza in the middle layers).
Layer noodles.
Spread more sauce and mozza scatter a few slices of fresh mozza, layer of fresh uncooked spinach.
Layer of noodles.
Spread more sauce and mozza layer of sliced eggplant, thin layer of ricotta/cottage cheese
Layer of noodles.
Spread more sauce and thick layer of mozza.

Put lasagne in oven until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned usually 15 - 20 minutes.

This is a very tasty, but messy lasagne. It has enough sauce that it very rarely serves up into nice neat squares, but if you are serving it to guests, they will taste it and not care that it is a bit of a mess. Using no-boil noodles helps a little, but be very wary of what kind you use. Some of them get mushy and grainy tasting.

5 Comments:

  • OMG that looks awesome! I am making your soup this weekend but maybe a lasagne as well for Sunday night. Now I'm starving. That looks SO good.
    Love your winter-non-winter pics. Still waiting for proper snow here in Toronto.

    By Blogger Spinner, at 10:52 AM, November 07, 2006  

  • Your hat is coming along nicely!
    That looks so yummy!!! I am going to have to make some!! Now you have made me hungry!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:00 PM, November 07, 2006  

  • Ooooh, that looks so good! Sorry to hear about the choir changes - I'm sure it will be a great "growing experience" for you, and you'll be up to speed in no time!

    Winter is running away here, too, with above 0 weather all week. Strange.

    By Blogger Charity, at 3:04 PM, November 07, 2006  

  • The hat looks lovely!

    The lasagna looks even better. I read your post in a flash this morning and didn't have a chance to comment until now. I have been craving lasagna all day! As soon as I am a bit more mobile I will most definitely be getting in the kitchen to prepare this one.

    P.S. It just occurred to me that we have been blogging for nealy exactly the same amount of time. I am so glad I found you - even though it took me a while!! :)

    By Blogger Kristy, at 10:57 PM, November 07, 2006  

  • Oy!!! Did I ever mention that Lasagne is my most fave food in the world? I have a tried-and-true recipe for it, but yours seems to be a bit different indeed - off to trying it out I am ;) Thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 AM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home