Knitting stuff and going on and on.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Monday, crazy Monday.

Not much going on on the knitting front. A hat for the Mr. 3x3 ribbing worked over 90 sts using Naturelle Aran 10 Ply. I'll try it on him when it's done and if it's a bit big for him, but not crazy big then I'll send it on to my brother and if it's crazy big, frog and start again.

As soon as I finish making myself some DPN's for this, it will become a hat for Girly. She really needs one. The one she has is already slipping off her head. Of course she wants nothing to do with the purple and pink. She wants just pink.

"Hey, can I have a bite?" "Aw, man, I don't wanna share."

"Man, it's not even Christmas yet and the line-ups are already starting."
"Hey, what's the hold up?!"


Recipe Number 1 for the week.

Vegetable Beef Barley Soup

1 red onion (thinly sliced)
2 carrots or 5-6 baby carrots (thinly sliced)
1 red pepper (diced)
2 stalks celery (thinly sliced)
2 cloves garlic [(very finely chopped) I can't believe I forgot to add garlic!]
1 lb of ground beef (chicken, veal, pork or turkey work well too)
1 large can whole tomatoes with the liquid (squeeze them as you put them in the pot)
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup wild rice (one small can added at the end will do the job too)
1 cup beef stock (chicken stock if using any other kind of meat)
2-3 stalks fresh rosemary (1 teaspoon dried)
butter or sunflower oil for frying
water
salt and pepper to taste

In a very large stockpot on med heat, saute butter and onion until onion is carmelized (pale brown and smelling sweet) add celery, carrots and red pepper, saute until just softened, add garlic saute for one minute or just until it starts to smell really good. Remove from pot and set aside. In same pot, brown beef. Once beef has browned, add beef stock and scrape bottom of pot until all the brown bits are up. Add sauted vegetables, canned tomatoes and liquid, barley, wild rice, rosemary, salt and pepper. Fill the tomato can with water 5 times and add to pot. Bring everything to a slow boil (over med high heat) and let bubble merrily away stirring occaissionally for one hour. If the pot starts to go a bit dry, add half beef stock half water. It should be a very thick chunky soup.

It's a very rich soup so serve with a nice light bread. Perfect for a cold day. It also freezes quite well so you can put some away for another day.

I had to add some stuff I forgot about. I use them in nearly everything so I didn't even think about them.

Tomorrow, Lasagne.

5 Comments:

  • Ok, Dorothy....I just read your Soup Recipe and now I'm starving...and it's only 9:15 am! I can almost smell it...good thing you didn't post a picture, I'd be drooling.

    Happy Monday!
    Tee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM, November 06, 2006  

  • Oh I have GOT to try that soup. Sounds just yummy! Got me to thinking about the chicken stew I have in the slow cooker at home right now. M-m-m-m, I am going to be SO hungry by the time I get home.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:46 AM, November 06, 2006  

  • I CANT WAIT FOR LASAGNE DAY!

    By Blogger Nic, at 11:51 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • Ahhh - I love your recipes! Just reading through them makes me drool all over! I've already printed this one out and will try it soonest possible - will let you know what I thought of it, okay? But I already know it: Yummy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 AM, November 07, 2006  

  • Mmmmmm - that soup sounds fantastic. I've got some barely at home and think it would be a great weekend project. Thanks for sharing. Your pets are so cute - and your little dialogues for them crack me up :)

    By Blogger Spinner, at 8:01 AM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home